Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Do I Even Need This?" Thread

I agree with the cleaning products. I mostly use vinegar, Dawn, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda,Bon Ami & castile soap, or some combination of those. That actually still sounds like a lot, but some of those items have multiple uses.
    I used Dry Idea antiperspirant for years, but a few years back became concerned about potential health risks. Talked to DH about it, and he asked "Do you even really get sweaty under your arms? It doesn't seem like you even sweat much." (At times like that, I sometimes wonder if I'm an idiot disguised as a smart person. Like maybe my records got mixed up in school, and everyone has been telling me I'm smart all my life, but I'm really a moron. But I digress). No more Dry Idea for me, now occasional use of EO Organic Spray, and I suspect the value is psychological more than anything else since I do bathe daily and have always worked in a clean environment.
    Steve; I agree with you on the hand vac. Dustpan and brush does it for me, and I have a vintage crumb brush and tray that also comes in handy.

The work get-up - makeup, heeled shoes, Spanx like torture garments.
    Coffee pot - we use a pour-over Melitta
    Deodo is limited unless it's a hot day.
    Never used dryer sheets or smelly cleaners.
    Bottled water. We don't have a filter yet but supposedly have pretty good tap water here. It does not taste heavily chlorinated and we let it air out overnight in a pitcher.

We use Magic Jack for long distance phone service, only use a TracPhone when we leave the house or when on vacation. An iPhone is not a necessity for me.

Williamsmith
    There is a civil war between myself and the wife. I make some small progress now and then but most of my ideas to throw away or discontinue use of an item or product...gets vetoed. Still have the Keurig...don’t need it. The hand vac broke.....I tossed it and never replaced it. The wife was encouraging me to buy a new guitar for myself ....I was tempted. I looked at one and almost pulled the trigger but I have three already. While I was in the music store ogling the guitar she went to Christopher Banks and came out with a new sweater. She said, where’s the guitar? I said I decided I didn’t need it. To be honest, I buy plenty of stuff I don’t need and that undermines my street cred when it comes to asking her to agree to stop using something.

Many of the above personal care and grooming and laundry products I do not use and never have. Same for most house cleanng products.I do still retain Windex, however. Seldom use it.

I cannot live without a watch. Remember , I dont have a smartphone to pull out that tells me the time.

i tried a wok from the thrift store last year after wanting one for years and decided not to keep it, back to using iron skillets. It was huge and took ip too much room.

One thing not mentioned: underwear. I often find underwear of all types, tops and bottoms, to be superfluous. Yes, I do more laundering of outerwear as a result of that. Worth it for the freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

One thing not mentioned: underwear. I often find underwear of all types, tops and bottoms, to be superfluous. Yes, I do more laundering of outerwear as a result of that. Worth it for the freedom!
    How funny! I actually am spending a little more to get what is really comfortable. I used my Kohl's cash from gift shopping to buy underwear I really like that I can't find anywhere else. Okay they have something close to it at WalMart but I try not to shop there. Going without chest support, I kinda wish for that. However being 34 DDD it is not often I can pull it off. Maybe on a PJ weekend. So I focus on quality instead of buying quantity.

My smart phone (older galaxy core prime) is a necessity for work. I do have to send updates/alerts from home on occasion. But I got rid of the home internet/computer/phones/printers. So much less stuff at home! Even got rid of my "office area" and netflix. We've survived 2 years now without netflix! I did just finally order a SIM storage card for my phone because I'm out of space for the latest text system I need to add to my phone.

I do use dryer sheets to cut static and I've been known to rub one on my clothing and my hair. DH won't let me airdry clothes, some weird hangup of his about pollen

Deodorant has always been a one swipe affair and it's part of my routine along with nail polish. I use a scented lotion but no perfume or spray. I just enjoy playing with nail colors so I'll allow it along with simple makeup.

I will not give up my bra, in fact I'm looking for a comfortable pretty sleeping bra. Like Zoe a little support is appreciated and more comfortable.

When I gave up being a bank branch manager/loan officer the stockings/hose went with the job. I've not bought a pair since '92.

I don't use a hair dryer. Causes static and headache! I shower at night and wash the hair every other or every third day. Air dried hair requires less of the dryer sheet rubbed on the head!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I agree with most of what IL said except when it comes to underwear. Once my Mom died I got rid of the iron and ironing board. I only had it for her to use when she visited. I am finding since I retired that I rarely use makeup anymore.

A haircut at a "first-class" salon. After they refused to reschedule my appointment last May at a critical moment (I feel they could have canceled someone else's to fit me in, considering I was leaving the country and crying on the phone), I decided I wasn't going back. I've been going to a chain, Supercuts, ever since. Half the price and the haircut is just as good.

I agree with the hose and stockings. I haven't had those since I stopped working in banking many years ago.

I also do not have a printer or my personal laptop anymore. A tablet and basic chromebook are fine. My work place supplies me with a laptop if I ever need something more, and is okay with an occasional print item like my tax return. If I am unsure I go to Staples and pay to log into email and print something.

Thread Information