Thread: Wood stove replacement help!

Wood stove replacement help!

My trusty Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove just cracked.

Looking for any advice on modern-production wood stoves about that size that are decent. All help appreciated.

Also, has anyone had any experience with successfully repairing a crack, long-term? Seems to me that thermal cycling would cause the cat iron to continue cracking around any braze/well repair, but I’m not good at this particular sort of thing.

I don't have advice, but I just want to say that I love Vermont Castings. One year Home Depot distributed one of their gas grills and I bought it for my husband for Father's Day. While he was playing golf with my kids I assembled it and it's been working great ever since (must be at least 10-15 years ago). Maybe call them up and ask them for advice?

If you decide to replace, what about a masonry heater? They're supposedly the most efficient.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I have always been partial to Jotl Wood Stoves.

We have had a Vermont Castings and a Lopi. Also a very small Jotul that was my favorite, but it was very old from a cabin that was on our property. We bought a Quadrafire at a yard sale but it's still sitting out in the shed until we decide if we are moving.
    I guess I'd be tempted to try a larger Jotul. Although what about those Finnish ones that are the masonry in the corner? I have never had one, but you could do the labor to try that kind, and you have connections in Finland.
    I have also been tempted by the Waterford cookstoves at Lehmans. They are supposed to heat the house, too.

check out US STOVE CO

Thread Information