Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian entree recipes

Vegetarian entree recipes

After spending about six hours preparing a vegetarian pot pie for Thanksgiving, to bring to my sister's, I am in need of help. I need a vegetarian entree recipe that will not take hours to prepare, can be heated ahead of time and easily transported in a car for about 45 minutes, and will (possibly) appeal to carnivores (though the last one isn't my top priority).

We used to make a veggie lasagna, but that too took hours to make. I realize holiday food often takes a long time (people getting up at 6 a.m. to put the turkey in the oven, etc.) but I just can't handle that sort of thing anymore. And I'm not even the cook--the spouse is!

I know I can look online, but the sheer volume of recipes out there is overwhelming.

Also, it would be preferable if there were no dairy products in the recipe. Butter is OK, though. Just not loads of cheese.

Can you help?

My husband LOVES this soup, and he's a meat-and-potatoes guy. The mushrooms give a "meaty" taste and texture. This recipe is so simple and easy.

Healthy Mushroom SoupOverview | Step by Step
    1 Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, leeks, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, but not browned, approximately 10 minutes. Add thyme, mushrooms, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Heat until a soft boil, then turn down to low heat, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
    2 Remove from heat, ladle into bowls, and serve.

Serves: 4

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup carrots peeled and diced
    1 cup onions sliced
    1 cup sliced leeks halved and sliced
    3⁄4 cup sliced celery
    3 large garlic cloves coarsely chopped (approx. 1 and ½ tablespoons)
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 pounds mushrooms rinsed and thickly sliced*
    6 cups chicken stock (or approx. 3 (14.5 ounce) cans)
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds delicious--but hard to transport in a car!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My husband LOVES this soup, and he's a meat-and-potatoes guy. The mushrooms give a "meaty" taste and texture. This recipe is so simple and easy.

Healthy Mushroom SoupOverview | Step by Step
    1 Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, leeks, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, but not browned, approximately 10 minutes. Add thyme, mushrooms, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Heat until a soft boil, then turn down to low heat, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
    2 Remove from heat, ladle into bowls, and serve.

Serves: 4

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup carrots peeled and diced
    1 cup onions sliced
    1 cup sliced leeks halved and sliced
    3⁄4 cup sliced celery
    3 large garlic cloves coarsely chopped (approx. 1 and ½ tablespoons)
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 pounds mushrooms rinsed and thickly sliced*
    6 cups chicken stock (or approx. 3 (14.5 ounce) cans)
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Sounds delicious--but hard to transport in a car!
    Crockpot?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Crockpot?
    Hmmm...yes, I do have one of those. Perhaps that might work!

If nothing else, a crockpot will keep the finished entrée warm...

Here's an option, from another cook I know named Chris:
    Brush some thinly sliced eggplant with olive oil and bake till soft (about 15 minutes).
    Smear with a mixture of whole milk fresh ricotta mixed with a mixture of:
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil, 2 Tbsp lemon zest, 1 Tbsp garlic, 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of nutmeg
    Roll the eggplant slices.
    Place on a spicy tomato sauce and bake about 20-25 min at 425* (until the tomato sauce is bubbly).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Black bean and spinach enchiladas. I have made them with low fat mozzarella cheese and without cheese. With cheese it's even pleased carnivore friends. Some of the milder almond or soy alternate cheeses can work, but for some it is an acquired taste and for me has taken some experimentation to work. There are several online recipes with variations. If you use canned enchilada sauce it goes together pretty fast.

If I were making Catherine's recipe for dedicated vegetarians, I would substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock.

Steve that sounds super yummy, and the enchiladas too.

I would recommend a baked ricotta stuffed shells or mac and cheese. Everyone loves mac and cheese. I put bread crumbs with garlic powder on top and use white cheddar

Steve that sounds super yummy, and the enchiladas too.

I would recommend a baked ricotta stuffed shells or mac and cheese. Everyone loves mac and cheese. I put bread crumbs with garlic powder on top and use white cheddar

Thread Information