Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian entree recipes

I have never made baked riccotta or stuffed shells. Aren't they kind of time-consuming, like lasagna?

I don't think so, you boil the noodles and mix about 5-6 ingredients for the filling, then stuff the filling in the pasta and cover with tomato sauce. It can be out of a can. Bake and put on some extra cheese. If you don't make it too saucy it is easy to transport

In other words, yes.

stuffing the shells takes me far too long.

Oh i use the open style ones, not manicotti style, so i spoon in. But i also cook alot so what is easy for me may not translate to easy for others

Oh, I know what you mean--they look like giant seashells, right? Then it might be easier! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh i use the open style ones, not manicotti style, so i spoon in. But i also cook alot so what is easy for me may not translate to easy for others

I made this loaf last night, using sweet potato and canned pintos. I 1/2 ed this recipe and YUM!

• 2 cups cooked carrots, diced
    • 2 1/2 cups cooked lima or navy beans, mashed
    • 2 large eggs or 3 small eggs
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • dash Cayenne pepper
    • 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 3 cups bread crumbs (not too stale)
    • 1/2 onion, chopped fine
    • 4 Tbsp melted fat
    • 2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Instructions

• Combine cooked, diced carrots and cooked mashed beans.
    • Beat eggs slightly, add seasonings and milk.
    • Combine breadcrumbs, chopped onion, melted fat and parsley; add to vegetables mixing thoroughly.
    • Turn into a well-greased loaf pan (or ring mould) and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 35 to 40 minutes.
    • Turn out on heated serving platter and serve with desired sauce.

Thanks! That loaf could be interesting. We have a running joke in my family that my mother made the world's worst meatloaf when we were kids.

I have Thai flavored shirataki soup in the IP, with peppers, onions, ginger (I didn't have galanga), red curry paste, and coconut milk.

I read yesterday that minced mushrooms (along with an egg) added to meatloaf is a winning ingredient, because they impart moisture. (And nutrients, natch.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I read yesterday that minced mushrooms (along with an egg) added to meatloaf is a winning ingredient, because they impart moisture. (And nutrients, natch.)
    Mushrooms also are (not to scare anyone) higher in glutamates, which are the key component in the food sense of umami. Umami adds a depth to food; one of those properties we notice but couldn't quite put a name to (until now). Good addition.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Our go-to is the Lynn's Loaf recipe from the Engine 2 website. It has squished tofu, oatmeal and various other things -- I'll add the link -- and we've served it to lots of guests. We've had at least two dedicated meat-eaters compliment us on the meatloaf without realizing that it in fact wasn't. It makes a great sandwich too if there's some leftover. Flavour is reminiscent of bread-based stuffing.
    http://engine2diet.com/blog/top-engi...ynns-meatloaf/

Thread Information