Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who was the lady dealing with a brain tumor?

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    IL, I remember you posting about your black/dark garden - was that on the old forum? How did it turn out, do you still have it? I was very intrigued about it.
    I have remnants of it. The hard scaping and garden furniture are still there. But I learned that all of the black plants I wanted need strong sunlight to develop their deep color, and this garden is in deep shade. So, it now has ferns and ivy, and during the summer a few red impatiens.

I am sad that I cant grow the dark coral bells, black lacy elderberry, mondo grass that looks likes a big black spider, and fabulous black columbine that would be ideal for this garden.

It is a small area behind our front porch. DH designed and built a great bench with gothic arches on the back. I found this super cool old church remnant at an antique mall (below) and our gargoyle lives in it, placed at the entrance to this little goth garden area:

Attached Images Attached Images

The gargoyle in its private dwelling is quite unique and fun. After travelling in different parts of Europe and seeing all the varieties of sculpture and seeing this post, I had to finally check the meaning of gargoyles. I have learned something I have often wondered about so thank you for the triggering thought.

From: http://gargoylestore.blogspot.ca/p/s...gargoyles.html

Gargoyle statues are a very common symbol in home and garden decor today but do you know what the gargoyle is symbolising when you use it in your design?

Gargoyles were commonly used in medieval times. Their two main purposes were to scare off evil, and to divert rainwater. Many had open mouths and long necks because they functioned as downspouts to divert rainwater from building foundations. The word "Gargoyle" originates from the old French word "Gargouille" meaning "throat" but which also describes the gurgling sound of water as it is coming down the downspout.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sounds like a good thing to have in the garden. Gargoyles. I have a blue gazing ball to ward off evil and blue glass baubles in windows all around the house....Iris, I love the gothic alcove. In your new property you have lots of sun, right? Maybe a dark garden awaits.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The gargoyle in its private dwelling is quite unique and fun. After travelling in different parts of Europe and seeing all the varieties of sculpture and seeing this post, I had to finally check the meaning of gargoyles. I have learned something I have often wondered about so thank you for the triggering thought.

From: http://gargoylestore.blogspot.ca/p/s...gargoyles.html

Gargoyle statues are a very common symbol in home and garden decor today but do you know what the gargoyle is symbolising when you use it in your design?

Gargoyles were commonly used in medieval times. Their two main purposes were to scare off evil, and to divert rainwater. Many had open mouths and long necks because they functioned as downspouts to divert rainwater from building foundations. The word "Gargoyle" originates from the old French word "Gargouille" meaning "throat" but which also describes the gurgling sound of water as it is coming down the downspout.
    i hadnt heard about the gurgling sound.

My gargoyle is a ground dweller and as such is not happiest there, he would prefer to perch on the top of our house.

But if he's perched on the top of your house, you cannot see him.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    But if he's perched on the top of your house, you cannot see him.
    I am just saying what he would prefer.

Since I place him where I want him, yep, He is low where we can enjoy his company.

He doesnt much like us.

I don't know when I joined, but it was back when the forum was one long list of threads, no topic headings or anything. I'm back because I'm getting a bit bored with the youngsters over at Mr. Moneymustache.

ETA: I was Paula P TN back then.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoss View Post
    I don't know when I joined, but it was back when the forum was one long list of threads, no topic headings or anything. I'm back because I'm getting a bit bored with the youngsters over at Mr. Moneymustache.

ETA: I was Paula P TN back then.
    Oh, wow! Hi, Paula!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hi back.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thread Information