Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who was the lady dealing with a brain tumor?

Chickadee, Pansy and I met IRL and that seemed such a daring adventure then. Funny how life and time changes one's perspective. Thanks for the reminder about Dave's booklist. I did buy some of them but downsized in my last move.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I am a relative newcomer, who only became interested in frugality and simple living in late 2007/early 2008. One of my favorite quips at the time was that I stopped shopping and the economy tanked. It was just before the recession began, so the recession was not what changed my mindset, but it certainly reinforced my "new" ideas.
    I forget how I found the (old) forum, but I was really head over heels, and when the forum was transitioning/shutting down, I was truly panicked about the loss of my new community. So thankful we came out on the other side.

ETA: I did not know her then, but my understanding is that Spartana was once She-Ra.

yes, spartana was she rah. I have been lhamo all along. I think I joined the original SLN forums around 1998 or 1999 -- read YMOYL in late 1997. Was definitely here in 2000, when we were living in NY.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Since 2003. Wow!

I think I joined in 2003, different name. I only check in periodically now, but this forum was a lifeline for me during major life changes (i.e. how to get my financial life together so I could survive divorce). It was pretty radical to think about frugality and simplicity in the early 2000s but the crash in 2008 got a lot of people on the bandwagon.

I remember also Diana in Wisconsin. I remember when Iris Lilies was Faux Paws, and there was another name before that one.... And when KIB was in Bisbee......she's back, isn't she? I though I had seen her avatar...

This place still gives me a lot of hope. Of course, I totally avoid any conversation about politics, so that helps.

I've been on for about 20 years. Not a frequent poster, used to read more often but got rid of internet at home (and don't have a smart phone) so only rarely log on now (generally when traveling and in a hotel as I am now:-). I met WJSimon for lunch many years back as I was traveling through her part of the state (I too lived in California at the time).

How can we find out how long we've been here, since they date changed awhile back? I don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    How can we find out how long we've been here, since they date changed awhile back? I don't have a clue.
    You can’t because “here” is a web forum that came into being December 2011.

The prior forum(s?) where we gathered were closed down and that data is not available.

I have been chatting and overposting since spring 2001. I remember the date because that is the year my in laws took DH’s entire family to Switzerland and I was sad to have to leave this new found community for a few weeks.

edited to add: I have never understood how to access Wayback data (internet back up) or what data is actually included in the Wayback machine. More than once I would have liked easy access to web pages no longer out there. Wait—one time someone did retrieve something from a goth gardening forum I frequented, it was a brilliant piece of work and formed the core of modern goth gardening. Haha, kind of a niche interest.

I knew that you liked Goth movies etc., but Goth gardening!!!! Is nothing sacred?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

IL, I remember you posting about your black/dark garden - was that on the old forum? How did it turn out, do you still have it? I was very intrigued about it.