Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renewed Driver's License Onlin........

Renewed Driver's License Onlin........

I just renewed my driver's license online. Seems a little dangerous, but I know I'm not a criminal, my eyesight hasn't changed, I haven't had any accidents, etc.,etc.
    But it just seems a little disconcerting that I could do this. It's been 6 years since my last one. My picture is (unfortunately) the same. Still.......doesn't it seem like incompetent people can easily get a license online?
    You have to be under 75, which is good, but it seems like the age should be lower. Maybe it's different for each state. Our state got rid of car inspections a long time ago. I wonder if this is another thing that will go by the wayside, because of so many people??
    What do you think?

That's pretty decent for you anyway. Around here the long waits and cultural experiences are legendary.

My opinion would be required eye tests earlier than 75 based on what I've seen with older relatives and friends. I can imagine the DMV has been the target of budget cutbacks and seem to have problems with the customer load the way it is. I recall something about being able to set up an appointment time to renew licenses now, but I'm not sure what the eye test frequency requirements are.

We got rid of vehicle safety inspections a long time ago but have emissions inspections every couple of years, which I support. The inspections are contracted out to a private enterprise and it goes along fairly quickly.

What's your specific concern about how online renewal makes it more likely that " incompetent people can easily get a license online"?

Are you incompetent?
    Do you wear glasses or have restrictions on your license? Do they allow this for those who do have restrictions for any/all class licenses?
    Do you know if they do this for those with points on their license? (seems like no points, no medical notifications, might be a class allowed to do this)
    How does the license come to you? (I would be worried if you could change your address on it, about fraud)

My state still has safety inspections. It is NOT a money maker for garages and can be a hassle. It is done more as a convenience for your known customers, as a general safety check of their vehicles. It is why it is by appointment only as it takes time to do and is a no profit, rack tying up event.
    Not sure if St. Louis has emissions tests, but that isn't statewide.
    If you had seen some of the vehicles I have, you would be glad they do. That said, even then I saw one vehicle which took the application for license plates form, and posted it on the rear window, like someone would a true temp tag. While the four people were in the car, on the road, and you could see their shoes, below where the floorboard should be and the rusted floorboards pushed to withing 2" of the road.

I guess it's mostly the eye test for older people (60+??). A lot can change in 6 years. I suppose any bad driving would show up on the BMV's computer info. I was sort of surprised needing glasses didn't require my going in for a test.

I was in there a number of years ago when a really old guy was failing his eye test over and over, and the worker still passed him. I think she felt sorry for him.

Rogar.......I have to admit, living in the country near a small town made going to the BMV sooooo much easier than when I lived in a big city. I can remember in the city, the line going around the whole office with people just standing, waiting.

Anymore, you can't call the local BMV, you get sent to a phone-answering place.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Are you incompetent?
    Do you wear glasses or have restrictions on your license? Do they allow this for those who do have restrictions for any/all class licenses?
    Do you know if they do this for those with points on their license? (seems like no points, no medical notifications, might be a class allowed to do this)
    How does the license come to you? (I would be worried if you could change your address on it, about fraud)

My state still has safety inspections. It is NOT a money maker for garages and can be a hassle. It is done more as a convenience for your known customers, as a general safety check of their vehicles. It is why it is by appointment only as it takes time to do and is a no profit, rack tying up event.
    Not sure if St. Louis has emissions tests, but that isn't statewide.
    If you had seen some of the vehicles I have, you would be glad they do. That said, even then I saw one vehicle which took the application for license plates form, and posted it on the rear window, like someone would a true temp tag. While the four people were in the car, on the road, and you could see their shoes, below where the floorboard should be and the rusted floorboards pushed to withing 2" of the road.
    They make you answer questions online, before letting you renew online. Like I said to bae, I'm surprised needing glasses wasn't one of the restrictions.
    I wish they still had car inspections here. We can even get by with a bad catalytic converter. I think the sheer number of people made things get harder and harder to require inspections, etc.......which is unfortunate.

Have you talked to your doctors about restrictions? The glasses thing worries me less, due to surgeries these days, that allow some people to be corrected back to no glasses required. I would expect that the doctors are required to submit notifications to the state as such, as they are in cases of mental or physical impairment, where a license may be suspended or revoked. (example a gal I know, just 60 being diagnosed with early Alzheimer's, while her 83 year old bad driving mother, who now takes her around, is still legal to drive, even with points on her license)
    If you have a bad catalytic converter, you won't be driving very far. You will either have to remove it (there were a bunch of thefts a few years back due to prices of the stuff in them), or hollow it out. They tend to go bad from the honeycomb collapsing and stop your exhaust, which isn't good for your motor.

Williamsmith
    CathyA, if I could set your mind at ease.....about 75% of drivers who have their license suspended, continue to drive. It is literally just a suggestion. Only the morally and ethically motivated actually adhere to the restrictions. The state just wants your money. There.......doesn’t that make you feel better?

There is a bitchfest raging on our
    Nextdoor site right now because someone complained about multiple cars on her block that have outdated license plates. “Why is that your business!!!???” Go the posts. “Busybodies with nothing else to do!” And “why dont you talk to the owners to see why they have not paid rathher than call the cop?s”

so, paying auto license fees is also considered optional.

having licenses for guns, optional.

It is all a specific mind set.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-12-17 at 5:26pm.

Personally i'm very glad that i can do it online. Even with an appointment our dmv is a half day time suck. I suppose the vision thing could be concerning.

Thread Information