Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon Says-the policeman version

Simon Says-the policeman version

After watching the video I fail to see how the cop's actions can be justified. If he was trained to bark all those orders at the guy then perhaps it's his trainer that should be on trial for murder. It's simply unreasonable to expect someone who is rightfully afraid for their life to comply with all those orders without making a slip up at some point.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...208-story.html

But I'm not surprised at the verdict. The only way a cop goes to jail for killing someone is if the person is literally running away from them and there's video of it.

I need to come back and read this later. As I skimmed through it, the first thing I saw was what I would call anticipation on the part of the suspect (putting hands together where he see's them cuffed on tv). One doesn't do that in real life as that tends to be the same places people hide guns (and why an officer grabs your hands, when THEY are ready).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I need to come back and read this later. As I skimmed through it, the first thing I saw was what I would call anticipation on the part of the suspect (putting hands together where he see's them cuffed on tv). One doesn't do that in real life as that tends to be the same places people hide guns (and why an officer grabs your hands, when THEY are ready).
    I think you are wrong here. Putting hands together for cuffing is a universal symbol here in the ‘hood of giving up, like waving the white flag.

My neighbor, after shooting his wife dead, did just that.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-10-17 at 12:45pm.

Williamsmith
    It’s just too bad the Mesa Police Department hadn’t fired the officer before he responded to this incident.

This officer was unfit for such a critical position as a swat or special response team member judging by his demeanor and the fact he carried a firearm with the following writing on its dustcover, “Your F...ed”

A civil lawsuit should result in an immense award.

This makes me sick. The officer was making it too complicated. I would have had trouble following all those directions. And he shot too soon....and so many times. I know that even police get nervous, and you never know when that exact point is when you HAVE to fire. But I found this just horrible.
    Maybe I missed it, but what had these 2 people done to deserve this? Very, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    This makes me sick. The officer was making it too complicated. I would have had trouble following all those directions. And he shot too soon....and so many times. I know that even police get nervous, and you never know when that exact point is when you HAVE to fire. But I found this just horrible.
    Maybe I missed it, but what had these 2 people done to deserve this? Very, very sad.
    He had pulled out a pellet gun that he used in his job of pest control to show his friends and people outside the room in the hotel's hottub saw it and called the police because they thought he had a rifle.

The officer's tone and language do not convey a sense of competence to me.

A story I read said the victim had been drinking rum in his room with the woman. Certainly not illegal, being impaired may have slowed or confused his reactions to the orders. I can't see any reason not to think that the officer was out of line.

That is so tragic, and needless. I wonder how many officers were there? Couldn't they have just had the guy come towards them with his hands in the air and search him? How very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think you are wrong here. Putting hands together for cuffing is a universal symbol here in the ‘hood of giving up, like waving the white flag.

My neighbor, after shooting his wife dead, did just that.
    The call was because someone saw a gun. The ones being ordered to the ground have no idea of that, and pellet guns are manufactured today, that look exactly like their real counterpart. To the point people buy them for training (holster drawing), as well as holster manufacturing, and practicing trigger control. This is why so many LEO's I know don't like them, as they get abused.
    To the cops knowledge, he has a pistol, that people typically hide in a waistband, or pocket. etc. Putting your hands ANYWHERE near that area, is a bad idea. You let the cop grab your hand and swing it around and cuff you.
    I read the story, and there was anticipation on both parties part (the suspect, putting his hands together, and the cop, seeing his hands go near a waistband). When the suspect starting getting confused, he should have been saying huh, or repeat, to get the officer to slow down his commands.
    I was in this situation before, as I chased after a guy who I thought hit my bosses truck. I didn't know a helicopter was following him and I saw the bosses parked truck wobbling and the guy run right by me.
    Yes they do it in the hood, they also do it as a distraction to reach for a gun.

Thread Information