Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke detector batteries

Yppej
    Mine says replace by 2004 but when I press the test button it sounds the alarm. My other test mechanism over the years has been to burn food, but I've been better at cooking lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Mine says replace by 2004 but when I press the test button it sounds the alarm.
    That is only testing the electrical connection between the test button and the alarm buzzer. The sensor that detects particulates is likely greatly reduced in functionality at this point - the button does not test that.

Seriously - replace it.

And sleep with your bedroom doors closed.

Yppej
    There is no heat in my bedroom. I rely on warmth moving into the room from other parts of the house, which won't happen if the door is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My other test mechanism over the years has been to burn food, but I've been better at cooking lately.
    Yes, the old "dinner's done!" alarm. That's how we test ours from time to time too. Come to think of it, it's been awhile since the dinner alarm has gone off. Not sure if we're getting better at cooking or if the detector is losing it's detective abilities. The date on them all is april 2009 so they're reaching the end of their lives. Perhaps we'll splurge on some new ones with the ten year batteries. I don't particularly care if they are interconnected. If one goes off we will hear it everywhere in our place.

Yppej
    We bought new detectors, but the wrong kind. DS then tested the existing alarms but burning things under them and the alarms went off. Returned the new detectors as we appear to be in no imminent danger.

The store he went to did not have a hardwired smoke/carbon monoxide detector combination.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    (*) I have a suspicion that after a certain age, you are more likely to die by falling off the stepstool/ladder you are using to change the battery with than you are to perish in a fire...
    Yep, we need to use a ten foot ladder to access the smoke detector on our second floor. So that's hauling the ladder from our garage, up two flights of stairs, set up the ladder, then I am on the one to climb it as DH can't handle heights. I told DH the last time I did it was the last time. Smoke detectors need replacing anyway so they are getting replaced with the combo ones with the 10 year batteries.

They are hardwired and we will need an electrician. I don't do electric and neither does DH plus there's that tall vaulted ceiling on the second floor. Since we expect to sell in the next few years, might as well get the hardwired ones in and make it one less thing to change come selling time.

Yppej
    Finally replaced the smoke detectors with combo ones. Better late than never. But DIY was very stressful. DS started late in the evening, it was taking longer than he expected, and he didn't want to continue hammering and drilling past the noise ordinance hour, and insisted on leaving the power off all night amidst high heat and humidity as some of the units were old and some new and he was worried the incompatibility could start a fire. So not much sleep that night. We are still frazzled and at odds. Maybe not only falling off a ladder is a greater risk than fire, but so is the impact of the stress from doing the changeover. The things we own own us.

Thread Information