Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia!

Darkness shall take flight soon
From the earth's valleys.
So she speaks
Wonderful words to us:
A new day will rise again
From the rosy sky...
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia!

I have mental images of Swedish star-boys in cone-shaped hats, and of lucy-girls wearing white gowns with red sashes, and crowns of candles (LEDs probably safer!) on their heads. One year I attended a Lucy Day celebration at a Swedish Lutheran church in Duluth/Superior. There were no star-boys. But there was Lucy with a crown of lights! And she had about 12 attendants, each carrying a candle. They processed forward along the candle-lit center aisle of the nave, and spread into a formation at the front. Lucy proclaimed her prepared remarks, and the people sang a few songs in English. Then there was coffee in the church basement, and pastries you would not believe!

Since then, I have made Lucy Day the starting point of my festive season, which I carry on gleefully until January 6. I believe Lucy Day is a good occasion to try with a little extra effort to be compassionate in respect of persons who are going over a rough patch of road. It will be rough until it is smooth, but "all will be well".