Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renewed Driver's License Onlin........

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is just some kind of preliminary test. The second set of tests
    I took were ones I had never had before. They were considered medical tests and some health insurance policies would pay for them.
    Interesting. I had no idea. As they used to say, 'The more you know'

Yppej
    Yes, multiple sets of tests and when I switched jobs and insurances the old provider was no longer in network and refused to release the results of my baseline to the new provider unless I paid $20.00. In my area release of records to another provider is usually free of charge. I offered to pay 10 cents per page plus postage, but they refused. The old provider had retired and sold out to some national profit driven outfit pushing Lasik.

Wow, I get the annual glaucoma tests because my dad and grandmother had glaucoma. Even when I get the annual vision test at Walmart they do a glaucoma test and it's never a lot of money. If your numbers are high, yes, probably more tests, but if your numbers are normal, no more tests.

My ex husband had it and had laser surgery when the drops would not control it. His vision continued to be fine with the treatment until his death.
    My father had the laser surgery after the drops would not control it. He continues to drive.

Now I find my son's father-in-law has it and just had the surgery. So my little granddaughters have lots of glaucoma in their family history and they ought to be tested once a year, too.

IL and Y, were your numbers elevated? Why did they want to do more tests?

I get checked for glaucoma every 4 months. I have had no change since the eye doctor said I might me susceptible to it. It generally takes me about 10 minutes. They have a couple of machines that I get checked out on. One has flashing lights and I push a button when I see them. The other one just takes measurements I suppose. And then the doctors check me out the other times.

Ive had no problems, maybe I’m just paying for their fancy machines.

I see the eye doctor and dentist 3 times a year, dermatologists and regular doctor once a year. Aviation doctor every 2 years. And I feel good.

Florida drives license are good for 6 years and you can also renew by mail or internet. Driving down here is different to say the least. With the older population, snowbirds from everywhere, and tourists, you really have to watch everyone because most don’t seem to know where they are or where they are going. And they may decide they want to be in your lane at any moment.

Yppej...........Your numbers are important. Were they within the normal range? I had my pressures checked pretty often for a couple years (every 6 mos) because they were up and down. I think after awhile, the doc realized that this was normal for me.......but without the occasional other tests, you just don't know. I'm not saying have all these tests all the time, but at least get a baseline (optic nerve, peripheral vision, etc.) and then go every couple of years. Glaucoma is a pretty easy thing to fix/slow down, and your vision is so very important. I do understand your frustration with doctors asking for too many tests all the time. But be careful not to throw it all out. Educate yourself and decide how often you might need to catch a vision problem early, and then just those things. Unfortunately, it seems doctors these days go less with their clinical expertise and default to lots of tests......maybe just to cover their asses.

One thing I noticed was that my eye pressures varied during the day. If you could figure out when yours are their lowest, you could only make appointments for that time of time. There's a normal variation with some of us, and if you don't want to doc to only focus in on the highest number, only go when they tend to be the lowest.

Another thing I noticed about my higher pressures.........they were higher when I was having sleep apnea and came down once I was on cpap.

But just remember.......you don't have to do everything the docs tell you to do........but decide what is in your best interest to have done....at least occasionally. Glaucoma is one of those more easily dealt with problems and your vision really is top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I get checked for glaucoma every 4 months. I have had no change since the eye doctor said I might me susceptible to it. It generally takes me about 10 minutes. They have a couple of machines that I get checked out on. One has flashing lights and I push a button when I see them. The other one just takes measurements I suppose. And then the doctors check me out the other times.

Ive had no problems, maybe I’m just paying for their fancy machines.

I see the eye doctor and dentist 3 times a year, dermatologists and regular doctor once a year. Aviation doctor every 2 years. And I feel good.
    Wow, every 4 months? Your indicators must be high.

I had that test with the flashing lights, it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Wow, I get the annual glaucoma tests because my dad and grandmother had glaucoma. Even when I get the annual vision test at Walmart they do a glaucoma test and it's never a lot of money. If your numbers are high, yes, probably more tests, but if your numbers are normal, no more tests.

My ex husband had it and had laser surgery when the drops would not control it. His vision continued to be fine with the treatment until his death.
    My father had the laser surgery after the drops would not control it. He continues to drive.

Now I find my son's father-in-law has it and just had the surgery. So my little granddaughters have lots of glaucoma in their family history and they ought to be tested once a year, too.

IL and Y, were your numbers elevated? Why did they want to do more tests?
    I dont know the numbers, but for the first time the eye doc saw some kind of indication that further testing was warranted.

I pay for this out of pocket and these latter tests are considered medical tests that many health insurance policies cover. But that is fine, I can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wow, every 4 months? Your indicators must be high.

I had that test with the flashing lights, it was interesting.
    My previous eye doctor in St. Charles never seemed concerned, it wasn’t till I moved down here that it was a worry. And my numbers have not changed in the 3 1/2 years of checking. But I guess someone has to pay for those machines.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    My previous eye doctor in St. Charles never seemed concerned, it wasn’t till I moved down here that it was a worry. And my numbers have not changed in the 3 1/2 years of checking. But I guess someone has to pay for those machines.
    Well, you may be right, there are new diagnostic tools out there, everyone is now trained on them, so voila! We need these tests. Not.

Thread Information