Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quoth the Voters, Never Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Franken is an interesting case. His party abandoned him in order to take the moral high ground, and he's showing resistance. His promise to resign at a date to be named later tells me that he's unwilling to go quietly and hoping to find a way to portray himself as a sacrificial lamb while accusations against others are treated differently. If it just weren't for that damn photo.
    It sort of reminded me of the old jokes about the Clinton stages of denial:

1 I didn't do it.

2 You can't prove I did it.

3 That depends on what "it" means.

4 One of my staff did it.

5 Everybody does it.

6 At this point, it really doesn't matter anyway.

Repeat as necessary.

I've wondered about Franken's photo. I remember seeing this in some comedies, where a man would pretend to touch a woman's clothed breast and act like they were knobs on a radio and then they'd say "come in Tokyo". And everyone would laugh. If that was his only crime........but then she was sleeping, which made it worse.......and then supposedly he continued at other times to go a little further. I hope he doesn't quit the senate. I think he has done good there. This is all very weird.

The Franken thing has always seemed way overblown to me. That staged picture taken in a roomful of people was stupid, but harmless, IMO. In the rush to prove party purity, female Democrats threw him under the bus, cutting off their nose to spite their face. Writer Tina DuPuy complained that she had a picture taken with Franken once, and he put his arm around her waist and squeezed it twice? Really? Sounds like an affectionate gesture your grandfather might perform. And the whole female cast of SNL said he was a choirboy in contrast to other male comics. He's no Harvey Weinstein or Donald Trump. And he was a dedicated, hard-working public servant.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Franken thing has always seemed way overblown to me. That staged picture taken in a roomful of people was stupid, but harmless, IMO. In the rush to prove party purity, female Democrats threw him under the bus, cutting off their nose to spite their face. Writer Tina DuPuy complained that she had a picture taken with Franken once, and he put his arm around her waist and squeezed it twice? Really? Sounds like an affectionate gesture your grandfather might perform. And the whole female cast of SNL said he was a choirboy in contrast to other male comics. He's no Harvey Weinstein or Donald Trump. And he was a dedicated, hard-working public servant.
    I never really minded all the-accusations of groping and deep tongue thrusts but the dedicated hard working public servant stuff was the last straw.

That's my sense, too. I have no strong opinion about his efficacy as a Senator, but on the spectrum of benign to disgusting behavior, I think his shortcomings are more on the benign side, especially compared to many of his political and entertainment peers. Plus, for the most part, he's good enough, he's smart enough, and, gosh darn it, people like him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    What a contrast between Jones, who prosecuted the killers of four girls, and Moore who molested girls. Jones carried both the parents of children under 18 demographic and the county where he was banned from the mall, the latter by a very large margin.

And he was a dedicated, hard-working public servant.
    Maybe, but he's got several strikes against him.

1. He can't deny impropriety because of the photo.
    2. His party must virtue signal their concern as long as it doesn't hurt them.
    3. His state has a reliably Democratic Governor who has pledged to replace him with a female Democrat.
    4. Party inaction after forcing John Conyers to resign would open them up to charges of racism as, lets face it, in the Democratic Party race and gender trump everything.

All things considered, I think he's toast.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maybe, but he's got several strikes against him.

1. He can't deny impropriety because of the photo.
    2. His party must virtue signal their concern as long as it doesn't hurt them.
    3. His state has a reliably Democratic Governor who has pledged to replace him with a female Democrat.
    4. Party inaction after forcing John Conyers to resign would open them up to charges of racism as, lets face it, in the Democratic Party race and gender trump everything.

All things considered, I think he's toast.
    Yeah, but milk toast compared to the burnt toast of some of the others.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    Franken: "It's my right as an entertainer."

Trump: "When you're a star they let you do it."

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If Franken's offenses are somehow lesser, could it because he has simply had less power than Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Franken: "It's my right as an entertainer."

Trump: "When you're a star they let you do it."

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If Franken's offenses are somehow lesser, could it because he has simply had less power than Trump?
    Yeah, could be. Also, context. If Franken had stuck with a career as a comedian this would be no big deal. If Trump had remained simply king of his Trump dynasty, it would be no big deal. But get all kinds of political vested interests involved and anything the media can dig up goeth before a fall.

"What is the sound of a man with little hands clapping?"

Thread Information