Thread: Prop 65 warning on a gift I was going to give...........

Prop 65 warning on a gift I was going to give...........

I finally figured out what my DS's fiance' would like for christmas. It was a recipe box. The one I found that I thought she would like, plus had decent ratings came today. it looks great. But.....in a big warning sign on the side of the box it came in has the California Prop 65 warning about how it has chemicals that could cause cancer, birth defects, etc. Hmmm.........I know my christmas lights had that warning too. I just always wash my hands after putting them up or taking them down.
    Dang........what to do? I was thinking of telling her of the warning, and if it bothers her, I will send it back.

Is this over-kill as far as the warning goes, or is this bamboo recipe box a tragedy in the making?

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or are really afraid of such things.

My take is that we live in homes full of chemicals. I suspect you or your DS's fiance don't live in a chemically free home or eat chemically free foods. We drive cars, eat in restaurants, etc.

Our water could cause cancer.............and on and on and on. It is California. Give her the present and forget about it.

You can kind of see how crazy it is by reading what Amazon has in their material: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...nodeId=3234041

As a california resident every time I get on an airplane I pass a prop 65 warning on the jetway and any number of other places I encounter in daily life like entrances to parking garages. There's a hotel in LA where I have stayed that has warnings to the effect that if the elevator gets stuck between floors it's unlikely to run out of oxygen... Personally I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. As sweetana points out we live in a world full of chemicals. Unless DS's fiance lives in a house that was specifically built/painted/carpeted with no-VOC products (and never leaves it since pretty much every other building she'd go to wasn't made that way) she's likely being killed by her home far more than she will be by a cute little bamboo recipe box.

Thanks sweetana and jp1.

Sweetana.........I was being a bit sarcastic with my last comment. It's really hard to know how serious to take some things.......especially when the item is something I'm giving to someone else.
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that on Amazon.

The world is getting so crazy, in so many ways. Things that should be dealt with as very dangerous, aren't.........and things that are less dangerous are treated as potentially deadly. it's a crazy world.

I will probably let DS's fiance' decide ultimately if we wants to keep it, but I just wanted to get others' opinions so I could be more reasonable/informed about it myself.
    Thanks!

there is a warning on many an apartment building, in the laundry room here. I sometimes pay attention to the warnings (don't like to cook or serve food on things with warnings and careful about some vinegars that have lead - so there is that) but living in an apartment or something, what can you do. I'm happy enough I got my recipe boxes at the thrift though (they don't even make the old fashioned wooden one I got barely anymore these days).
    Trees don't grow on money

The last iron I bought had one of those CA labels on the cord which said it contained lead. I bet so much is made in China without oversight that they have to put the warning label on. I would feel the same though if it were a gift but who knows - she may not even notice. At some point, you just have to let it go or it'll drive you nuts.

Yes, it all seems out of control and silly. I do overthink a lot of things, but a big warning about getting cancer or having your fetus ruined by something is hard to ignore.........But I will try. It's a difficult culture to live in, if you try to do the right/healthy/non hurtful things. It's all so danged confusing. (Can you tell the holiday season is making me CRAZY??)

Thread Information