Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tile fix-- so happy!

We had a really difficult time ridding ourselves of all the tacky 70s remnants in our house. Our "backsplash" was was wallpaper--little brown teacups. I lived with it for a long time. We weren't ready for the whole kitchen renovation, and putting up another backsplash would have meant removing the laminate countertop, so, guess what--we did exactly what you did!! I saw those tin tiles and we used those. They worked great, and I really liked the look!

I think yours look fantastic as part of the tub surround. But then again, great minds think alike
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We had a really difficult time ridding ourselves of all the tacky 70s remnants in our house.
    Someday in another 30-50 years, maybe on a different Web forum, some future irislilies is going to bemoan all of those callous owners of 1970s houses that couldn't wait to get rid of the dark wood and the shag carpeting and the laminate countertops and all those other 1970s equivalents of Victorian wallpaper and visible gas lines running to what are now electrical junction boxes -- and how they could have trashed something so beautiful and deserving.

Just sayin' ... by someone who has been removing most of the 1970s from his 1974 rambler (except for a patch of green shag carpeting still in one closet). Our house is not such a splendid example of the style that it needs to be preserved as a museum piece.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Someday in another 30-50 years, maybe on a different Web forum, some future irislilies is going to bemoan all of those callous owners of 1970s houses that couldn't wait to get rid of the dark wood and the shag carpeting and the laminate countertops and all those other 1970s equivalents of Victorian wallpaper and visible gas lines running to what are now electrical junction boxes -- and how they could have trashed something so beautiful and deserving.

Just sayin' ... by someone who has been removing most of the 1970s from his 1974 rambler (except for a patch of green shag carpeting still in one closet). Our house is not such a splendid example of the style that it needs to be preserved as a museum piece.
    So true, and I kind of hate myself for dissing my Brady Bunch house. But I can't tell you how many times I've found things on the internet under the title "Ugliest Decorating Jobs" that were a spitting image of my kitchen, or of the covered bridge mural that came with my dining room, or the "dusty rose" formica and porcelain bathrooms.

It hits home when I see how popular "mid-century modern" has become. My daughter has begged me for clocks and lamps and curtains that we were about to throw out when we sold my MIL's 50s house (she never changed a thing throughout the 70 years she lived there).

And truth be told, I've been looking up old Anchor Hocking Fire King glassware and those old-fashioned enamel-top tables from the 40s with a mind to restore the Vermont cabin to its former glory!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information