Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDC forbidden words

If I understand it correctly, this "ban" applies to grant requests and related documents--in order to make them less susceptible to the current administration's biases.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I heard it on the news. Just insane.......like so many other things going on with the Trump administration. How long can we tolerate such craziness?
    It looks to me like this is a big nothing burger, with fries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/h...T.nav=top-news

It appears that someone within the CDC decided they may have a better chance of getting their budget approved if they used language they perceived not to be inflammatory to a Republican Congress. I think the headline should read "Condescending career employees use social engineering badly".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Got it. Thanks for setting me straight. "Straight" is an OK word to use, though, right?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Got it. Thanks for setting me straight. "Straight" is an OK word to use, though, right?
    It is in my world, but you may want to check your local codes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

It appears that someone within the CDC decided they may have a better chance of getting their budget approved if they used language they perceived not to be inflammatory to a Republican Congress. I think the headline should read "Condescending career employees use social engineering badly".
    alan, you did exactly what I hoped you would do, track down the source and context of the “Order against banned words.”

The fear and loathing expressed here in hysterical levels was all over something that didnt ring true to me. But given that I still hold a shred of respect for WashPo even on a slow news Friday when they chose to release this “news” I didnt go there. Thanks for going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

"Falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it." - Jonathon Swift

It is the tragedy of our hysterically hyperpartisan era that the presidential censorship meme will probably garner much more creedence than the emotionally unsatisfying truth. Trump seems to have corrupted the critical thinking powers of both his supporters and detractors equally.

Yeah, but isn't it unfortunate that you have to leave out very direct/precise words, in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding? And wouldn't that lead to more problems, if they okay'd funding, then realized what it was really for?

Williamsmith
    Don’t look now but I think we just took a step toward being great again. We don’t accept news as fact and actively filter out fake news. Well done!

Yeah, but isn't it unfortunate that you have to leave out very direct/precise words, in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding? And wouldn't that lead to more problems, if they okay'd funding, then realized what it was really for?
    Except that, no one has to leave out words in order to get the Republican congress to okay funding.

If you think bureaucrats haven't been pandering to what they believe to be the sensibilities of funding bodies since the dawn of civilization, you are an admirably innocent person.

If you think professional politicians are such strangers to the pandering arts that they can easily be taken in, you are an extraordinarily innocent person. Remember, these are the people who gave us the "Affordable Care Act" and the "Patriot Act".

Apparently such extraordinary people exist within the CDC. This incident says more about them than it does the GOP congress.

Thread Information