Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CDC forbidden words

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It looks to me like this is a big nothing burger, with fries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/h...T.nav=top-news

It appears that someone within the CDC decided they may have a better chance of getting their budget approved if they used language they perceived not to be inflammatory to a Republican Congress. I think the headline should read "Condescending career employees use social engineering badly".
    So in other words the real problem is that someone at the CDC thinks that members of the party in charge are so anti-science that sciencey words shouldn't be used because it might upset their delicate Republican sensibilities. I'm not sure which is sadder. That they felt the need to do this, or that they probably made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So in other words the real problem is that someone at the CDC thinks that members of the party in charge are so anti-science that sciencey words shouldn't be used because it might upset their delicate Republican sensibilities. I'm not sure which is sadder. That they felt the need to do this, or that they probably made the right decision.
    Who knows what they were thinking and why? If I could spin every goofy thing someone says the way my progressive friends do, I could work for the Washington Post and present my odd musings to a gullible public who'll forever after present them as fact.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Who knows what they were thinking and why? If I could spin every goofy thing someone says the way my progressive friends do, I could work for the Washington Post and present my odd musings to a gullible public who'll forever after present them as fact.
    You'd probably fit in better doing that at fox news...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You'd probably fit in better doing that at fox news...
    I remember when broadcast news was a public service, now it's all a profit center. Every outlet gives their customers whatever scandalous slant most likely to improve their ratings and ad revenue. I'm ok with all that, I just wish the consumers of slant were a little more curious.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein