Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of bikes--any recommendations?

Speaking of bikes--any recommendations?

A couple of bike posts have popped up, which makes me think of my intention to bike when I get up to Vermont. The island is pretty flat, and many of the things I see myself visiting frequently (supermarket, farmer's market, church, library, greenhouse) are within a 2 mile range--perfect for biking.

But I haven't bought or ridden a bike since high school!! I always used the foot kind of braking and I never got completely comfortable with handbrakes, although I know they are standard, so I'll just have to get used to them.

I am short, 5'2" and I would want a bike basically for transportation on town roads. Does anyone have any recommendations? My realtor said that she'll loan me a spare bike she has until I know I want to get my own (or not). But she's a lot taller than I am.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You'll probably want a cruiser bike (I call it my geezer bike, but that wouldn't go over well for marketing). A cruiser bike has you sitting upright, as opposed to humped over like a racing or mountain bike. Grand Isle is relatively flat, but does have some inclines so you'll want multiple speeds.

I have this awesome bike basket: https://www.bicyclehero.com/us/detou...ag-basket.html. It snaps on onto a permanent mount on the bike. I like it because it looks like a normal tote, and this is something you can bring to the farmers market, load up, and snap back on to your bike. Easy on, easy off. Holds a lot and is very sturdy and comes with a rain cover should you get sudden showers.

Bike seats and handlebars are adjustable for height. I'd say Borrow your friends bike and adjust it - 5' 2'' isn't that short. And see if you like it.

My suggestion would be what they’ve called a hybrid, which is between a road bike and a mountain bike. They typically have flat handle bars for an upright riding position, tires wide enough to handle some road damage or gravel, and multiple gears. I am not a fan of cruiser bikes. They are usually heavy and many don’t offer a selection of gears, which even on flat ground will be helpful for a variety of fitness levels. Many also have the swept back handle bars, which I think are harder to control.

I would recommend a three speed women's cruiser bike with internal gear hub and coaster brakes. Or you could go with a single speed. The one on the web site would require assembly. I would pay (probably $60) to have it done done professionally. Especially if I got the three speed. Yes I have assembled bikes out of the box. The guy at the local bike store has the exact tools and has done hundreds of them. Guess which bike I'd rather ride.

https://westridgeoutdoors.com/collec...=1914615136286

I suggest the Giant Sedona -- ride one to make sure it fits.

This is the bike I used for commuting for the past couple years.

That cruiser looks like the one my friend--a lifelong bike rider--has, and is quite happy with.

when we lived in SC, I used my bike to go everywhere and do all my errands. I bought a cheap cruiser one speed, which I enjoyed very much. There are many footbrake bikes out there like the ones we grew up with, which are perfect for a flat terrain like an island.
    I just bought whatever one was cheapest and fit into the car, nothing fancy, around a hundred dollars, I think.
    I would do that first, and then when you get into it and want something fancier, you will figure it out and have the first bike as a spare for company, since you are going to need five or six bikes eventually!

I might add, another nice feature to look for is a front fork suspension. It is much easier on my aging shoulders. I like UL’s suggestion as a nice hybrid.

Best hybrid bike, according to wirecutter.
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...commuter-bike/

Thread Information