Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last painting of house

Last painting of house

I paint every winter. We decided we will stay in this house....for how long? Anyhow this is the 8th yes 8th time in 8 winters repainting the living/dining and hall. This falls under organization as I said this is the LAST time for sure! I am priming first and then paint. This will be a total of 8 gallons I hope maybe 9 with accent wall. My choice is a non trendy color that will last the years here. I have done every "color of the year" and am so tired of them. Today will be the last 1/3 of priming and I am questioning my sanity!

How often do you paint to change color???

Why so often, BL? We have been in our house for 33 years and the interior has always been all white. We only painted ever few years, even when we smoked in the house. The interior is overdue for a paint job now, but we haven't done any interior painting since 2010.

Our house is in a historic district and they make changes so difficult the house will be the same color as long as we own it. It has Hardiplank siding which holds onto paint really well so maybe every 10+ years it might need repainting. I do the trim check and repaint where there is wear but that is it.

I have never heard of anyone repainting every year unless there is something unusual about the area like sea spray that damages wood.

I chose a neutral shade in my previous home and never changed it in 24 years. I just remembered that the BR's were brighter colours so as part of the preparation to sell I changed the colours to the neutral. I was highly amused when the purchaser told me that they found the original colour in the closet and chose to repaint the BR's in the same colours as I had. Life is really funny sometimes.

My new house is neutral soft cream/taupe with the BRs a soft grey. I love the grey except in the middle BR facing north and it feels too cold a colour in winter so had it painted a soft coral with a cream bedspread with rose accents. All trim is a soft white. These colours are timeless IMO so won't be changed. I love a soft pink with the grey. One day I might find the perfect colour duvet cover for my bed that is the right pink with grey accents.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I can't imagine moving all the art work and furniture to repaint the interior on a yearly basis. I do want to paint the kitchen/dining. I did it 12 years ago. I redid the hall bath 3 years ago and still have a few things that need to be hung.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Good Lord BL! I can see maybe painting one accent wall yearly, but not multiple walls.

I do like color, though, and cheer on those who paint actual colors on their walls, thoughtfully, rather than dwell in bland land. I do enjoy decorating done with a sure hand even if it is not my style.

I agree! I thought my MIL was an aggressive house painter, but you've definitely out-paint her, BL!!

I paint maybe once every 6-7 years. I should paint more often, because DH smokes and even though he only smokes in his home office with an air purifier, it still gets into the main house, unfortunately.

I really love my family room color and if I painted, I'd probably re-paint it the same color. It's "Silver Sage" (Restoration Hardware)--kind of a grayish bluish-green, pale and neutral.

When I went to Taliesan West, Frank Lloyd Wright's Phoenix home, the tour guide said that entryways should be dark and dramatic, leading you into a light, bright living area (She called it retract and release. It wasn't "retract" but something like that). So my hallways are all a dark red pepper color. I love color, too, so while the downstairs is neutral, I have a dark taupe bedroom, an eggshell blue bedroom and a dark grey bedroom. And a Waterford blue bathroom.

I did use the Benjamin Moore color of the year with the blue bedroom (I think it was 2013's color of the year). I was just tired of years of analyzing minute differences in paint chips. Going with specific colors that someone else tested makes it so much easier.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think we averaged every 5-7 years in the last house on walls. The only accent wall I have ever done is in this house. Our office is one of the bedrooms with a slanted attic roof so the wall behind the desk is a deep blue green color. I still don't know what possessed me to paint that color but I like it.

We had our interior painted 2 years ago and I chose all the same colors, almond in the kitchen, pale yellow in the hall and one bedroom, white in the main bath, blue in the other bath, green dining room and cream living room. Had I been thinking sensibly I'd have done the kitchen, hall and dining room all the same color because we have paint cans galore! The last time we painted was in 1995 .

I painted shortly after I moved into this house in 2003. All one color (mocha/greige; you know the color) except for the master bedroom (almost a cobalt blue). We have since repainted the master bedroom (more neutral color for when we thought we were sellling the house just as the market cratered) and the bedroom that DW has taken over (a shade of green that looked much better to me on the color chip but she likes it). The paint elsewhere is in fine shape but there have been enough wall dings and the like to warrant painting again. So ... once every 15 years or so. I don't even know as I'd change the colors. But I'll bet DW wants to.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information