Thread: Minimalists and their baggage?!

Minimalists and their baggage?!

This past Sunday I went to the Columbus Minimalists' meeting for the first time in several months.

There were new faces and people doing some cool stuff. For instance, one woman Marie Kondoed her entire apartment (except her bathroom). She has before and after pics -- very cool!

Another woman is downsizing and her primary goal is to count her items. This is my jam! I encouraged her to do so.

Anyway, one of the minimalists there brought up the fact that many minimalists are obsessed with their bags (whether they be rucksacks, daypacks, suitcases, etc.).

Has anyone else noticed this? I could not help be identify, as someone who has two backpacks that I painstakingly selected.

Anyone else have reviews on packs and bags they'd suggest?

Oh. I thought you meant a different kind of baggage.

It does not surprise me that anyone who wants to limit the number of their possessions would want them to be ideal for their purpose(s). I would think suitability of many packs and bags would depend on their intended use -- a daypack might hold a lot and be really rugged but would be unwieldy as a bookbag for, say, a college student. As a photographer, I've refused to carry my gear in a camera bag because one big enough to carry what I had to carry practically screamed "I've got a lotta nice camera gear here!", preferring, instead, stealth containers like a high-school bookbag with dividers I made myself to protect the contents.

So maybe the first step is weighting the most important attributes to you (flexibility of configuration, cost, waterproofing, etc.)?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm not a minimalist (though I have less than average), and I'm obsessed with my bags. My goals is to have the right items with me for the occasion at hand, but not too many, and have a suitable carrier for these items. Bags (and sub containers to put into the bags) are the one area in which I splurge. Clothes come often from the consignment store, I rarely eat out, we watch our pennies most other places, but BAGS!!! Not just any bag, it has to be the "right" bag. I've used, and discarded many along the way. At the current time, I go for light weight (meaning leather bags are too heavy for me) and easy packing (a tote with a wide opening or a duffel style bag). The bags I prefer have 0-rings to attach the important items to (example: my purse like item has rings for me to tether my wallet to). I like a fairly unisex styling (no bling or conspicuous doo dads on the outside).

My big splurge was a 30 liter convertible piece of luggage that can be backpack, can have a strap for over the shoulder or can be hand carried. It is styled like a duffel but has end compartments. There is an internal zipper for each end compartment that can be unzipped if you need to carry something longer than what would fit in the main center part. I picked this bag because its the maximum carryon size for European airlines (US airlines allow somewhat larger dimensions) and for the money I paid, I wanted to be able to use it everywhere. 30 liters isn't a lot, so forces me to not pack everything I own and be more discerning, and my shoulders are happier about that.

I also have a small backpack and a larger tote- I pick the bag to use depending on where I'm going and what I'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm not a minimalist (though I have less than average), and I'm obsessed with my bags.
    Agh!!!! That's my husband. The man is obsessed! Everything has to have it's own container, luggage, bag, etc.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

This sounds so much like me! I love my bags and just keep trying to get smaller and smaller for daily use. Can I ask the brand, etc. on your luggage piece? There is a very good chance I will be traveling next year and need a new carry on. Your's sounds ideal.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Can I ask the brand, etc. on your luggage piece?
    I'm assuming you meant me. The brand is Tom Bihn. Based in Seattle, all made in the US. Expensive for sure, but really well made. They have all kinds of different bags for all different kinds of travel (work travel, personal travel, mixed, briefcases, tote bags, duffel bags, backpacks). All of which have 0 rings in them to tether your things. The specific bag I referenced above is the Aeronaut 30 (there's also a larger Aeronaut 45).

Thank you. I'll be looking it up!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

ARRRRGGGHHH. Now I want to go (re)check my favorite sites for bags. It is indeed my primary fetish. I do have enough, though. For now.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I'm not a minimalist,though I would like to have less stuff. I have created as capsule wardrobe that works for me and am especially picky about bags.

I have a very light weight (packable) backpack for everyday. It was important to me that this had large water bottle pockets, an easy phone pocket, and as place to clip my keys.

I keep all my daily carry stuff in two zipper pouches. One works as a wallet, I have a plastic card case that fits in along with cash and change. (I went through many wallets before coming up with this solution.) The other pouch holds lip balm, handkerchief, pen, etc. My water bottles are lightweight plastic.

I also have a tiny hydration pack for sports and everyday summer use.

I have two suitcases, one standard carry on and one that fits beneath the seat. Depending on length of travel I'll take one or the other or both.

I've been looking at various fanny packs but haven't found one that meets my needs. It's easier to grab stuff out of a fanny pack than a backpack - but a lot less room for books and so on.

The quest continues.

I'm also trying to find the perfect all-purpose shoe/boot. Comfortable, supportive, handsome, tough, non-slip.
    Crazy first world problems

Thread Information