Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Republican Love Fest After the Tax Bill was passed.......

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that something like 32% of CA taxpayers itemize and the average itemization is $22,000 it's not surprising that our representatives in Sacramento would be looking for ways to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, and if successful, how long before every other blue state does something similar.
    I thought residents of blue states were in favor of higher taxes for everyone? This move doesn't seem very progressive to me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

And I thought republicans were for fiscal responsibility. Apparently the times are changing.

And I thought republicans were for fiscal responsibility. Apparently the times are changing.
    Real Republicans are. I suspect efforts to pare down expenses will commence shortly and we can again be hated for holding the Feds to the same standards Californians expect of their state, a balanced budget.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess there aren't any real republicans in the house or senate then, considering that almost all of them voted for fiscal irresponsibility.

Phase 1 of 2.

Fiscal irresponsibility is best exemplified in doubling 200 years of accumulated debt in 8 years. If Phase 2 results in reduced expenditures or economic growth counter-balancing the tax cuts I suppose the most accurate thing you can say about Republicans is that they maintained the status quo, although I suspect accuracy requires a higher standard of political discourse than we should expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Fiscal irresponsibility is best exemplified in doubling 200 years of accumulated debt in 8 years. If Phase 2 results in reduced expenditures or economic growth counter-balancing the tax cuts I suppose the most accurate thing you can say about Republicans is that they maintained the status quo, although I suspect accuracy requires a higher standard of political discourse than we should expect.

It's a grand experiment. If the expected economic growth in Phase 2 doesn't cover the added deficit, I'd expect SS, Medicare, and Medicaid to be prime targets. Alternately, the deficit could just test a new high to see if it's sustainable without wrecking the economy.

The Reagan era tax cuts, and more recently, the Brownback era tax cuts make a mockery of the claimed likely revenue increases.

If the republicans in congress were honest they would have admitted that the plan all along was to give a massive tax break to corporations and rich people like the Walton family, paid for by slashing programs that help the hated middle and lower classes like Medicare, social security and Medicaid. But being honest in that way would have made their tax bill even less popular than it already was.

Williamsmith
    The Reagan era tax cuts, and more recently, the Brownback era tax cuts make a mockery of the claimed likely revenue increases.

If the republicans in congress were honest they would have admitted that the plan all along was to give a massive tax break to corporations and rich people like the Walton family, paid for by slashing programs that help the hated middle and lower classes like Medicare, social security and Medicaid. But being honest in that way would have made their tax bill even less popular than it already was.
    You sound like you are disenfranchised and indifferent. Imagine that. Well, I’m not complaining. I figure I know better what to do with my own hard earned money than the federal bureaucracy does. Now, I got a point there, don’t I? I do have a point there! Medicare, Social Security (which I will not get) and Medicaid are already dead men walking. Embrace it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    You sound like you are disenfranchised and indifferent. Imagine that. Well, I’m not complaining. I figure I know better what to do with my own hard earned money than the federal bureaucracy does. Now, I got a point there, don’t I? I do have a point there! Medicare, Social Security (which I will not get) and Medicaid are already dead men walking. Embrace it. Cheers.
    You won’t get social security why? ... You didn’t pay into it and getting a pension instead??

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Real Republicans are. I suspect efforts to pare down expenses will commence shortly and we can again be hated for holding the Feds to the same standards Californians expect of their state, a balanced budget.
    What is a “real republican”? Evidently, not the current regime!

Thread Information