Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Republican Love Fest After the Tax Bill was passed.......

To me it is interesting, in the least, what Trump has done to the potential future of the environment. It hardly gets any press among all the bickering.

I can weather about any financial storm politics might throw at me, but when when I think of future generations I would like them to have the freedom to leave work at reasonable retirement age before their body and mind are worn out. And, slightly aside from the hot issue of global warming, public places they can go or know about where the wonder of the diversity and beauty of birds and plants and animals can still be found outside of zoos and heavily managed parks. And to know about wild places like the Arctic Refuge and some of the places I've been in what is (or was) the Bears Ears areas where there is a true sense of untrammeled wilderness. Maybe it is now archaic to quote Thoreau and say, "In wildness is the preservation of the world". Or "Man has become the tool of his own tools".

National Geo had a list of what Trump has done to the environment. To my eyes it looks like a long list. Taxes can come and go with the next regime, but some of the environmental damage can extend for generations.
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-environment/

I used to be in favor of capital punishment, but have since changed my mind. I came to the conclusion that government is too prone to screwups and that it was impossible to correct mistakes post-execution.

I doubt there are all that many “irrefutable” facts in the political sphere. Just as I doubt the existence of “settled science”.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree.

I'd love to hear from people who HAVE changed their minds about something, when they were previously committed to one idea or ideology or another? Change political parties? Change thoughts about big issues like abortion, gay rights, climate change?

If anyone here has had a conversion of some sort, can you share, and tell us why and what specifically motivated. you to change?
    Previously, I was an Independent. I have voted for both Democrats and Republicans. I will no longer vote for a Republican based on Trump and Walker in WI. They show what the Republican party now represents. I want no part of it!!!!!!

I was a vegetarian for years; it wasn't for me. I was satisfied with the food, but not with the constant hunger and extra weight it produced. My metabolism definitely prefers meat and fat to starch.

I flirted with the idea of capital punishment, but I agree with LDAHL--our legal system is unequally applied, and often capricious, so as much as i would appreciate hanging some miscreants from a yardarm, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I had to have same-sex marriage explained to me--I couldn't understand why some other form of civil commitment wouldn't be as good until all the legal ramifications (plus some social considerations) were outlined. In fairness to me, I'm no expert on marriage.

Like Roger, I fear for the environment under this cabal of jackals.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree.

I'd love to hear from people who HAVE changed their minds about something, when they were previously committed to one idea or ideology or another? Change political parties? Change thoughts about big issues like abortion, gay rights, climate change?

If anyone here has had a conversion of some sort, can you share, and tell us why and what specifically motivated. you to change?
    I have never been registered for a party until this year. I joined the local 500+ member democratic club in my area which is great at grass roots organizing and registered as a democrat. I don’t feel like I have any choice as I watch the gop stand by and let the shenanigans at the WH go on. As long as they get rich, stop abortion, put more guns in circulation, support the death penalty roll back LGBT rights, keep black men in jail and people who are not white Christians out of the country all is well. How many will walk into a church tomorrow and actually think they are good Christians? What would Jesus do? I doubt what we are seeing on Capitol Hill.

I have ave many friends who were down on their luck who for a short time relied on government safety net and spent the rest of their lives contributing to the tax rolls and their communities. I myself ended up in foster care, got help very early on and became a registered nurse and spent 30 years working with abuse victims. I don’t know what would have happened to me and my siblings if the government had not helped us. Street beggars? Prostitutes? Dead? All of us managed to get an education and work 30 plus years as contributors to society.

They promised to repeal and replace Obamacare with, in Trumps words “something with better coverage, covering more people, cheaper, believe me”. Where is it? You have the majority in the house, senate and WH. The answer is they just don’t care about doing anything unless it enriches them or their buddies and advances their agenda of selfishness and hate
    plenty of democrats are not doing their job, but I don’t believe the course our government is taking will serve our future generations well. I have to place my bets on the dems. And I have voted for many republicans through the years but the party is out of control right now.

I’ve voted for both, but mostly republican. I’m for abortion, and capital punishment. But neither are a big deal to me. I’m against gun control. The cost of health care is a big deal, but I also would rather just have a catastrophic plan, not be forced to buy something I don’t want. As a rich old white guy the democrats dont seem to be working for me except to empty my pockets.

And I think the majority in both party’s are filled with self serving crooks. And I’m still fine with Trump as president, the stock market is still doing good so far and it looks like I’ll pay a little less in taxes. And it’s very entertaining, I watch CNN some just for the entertainment. You know they are also happy about the election results.

I see that Oregon has changed its mind about whether people should be allowed to pump their own gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    .... As a rich old white guy the democrats don't seem to be working for me .....
    Isn't this the crux of it? There are a lot of things that don't personally affect me but that are important for others and our country overall.

I no longer have a child in public school but I gladly pay taxes so that K-12 schooling continues to be tuition-free. I will never be pregnant again but I believe birth control and pregnancy coverage should be a mandatory part of normal health insurance. I don't live in a disaster zone but I'm glad FEMA is there if I should need it.
    If we base all of our voting decisions solely on how it personally affects us, we no longer have functioning communities or states, much less a united country. Someone said the motto on the Republican flag is "I've Got Mine." So far in these Republican administrations that, sadly, has proven very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Isn't this the crux of it? There are a lot of things that don't personally affect me but that are important for others and our country overall.

I no longer have a child in public school but I gladly pay taxes so that K-12 schooling continues to be tuition-free. I will never be pregnant again but I believe birth control and pregnancy coverage should be a mandatory part of normal health insurance. I don't live in a disaster zone but I'm glad FEMA is there if I should need it.
    If we base all of our voting decisions solely on how it personally affects us, we no longer have functioning communities or states, much less a united country. Someone said the motto on the Republican flag is "I've Got Mine." So far in these Republican administrations that, sadly, has proven very true.
    Ah yes, those “I’ve got mine” conservatives.We “got ours,” a savings of $10,000 in 2017 by jumping onto an ACA health insurance plan.

But just because it benefitted us doesn't mean I think it is anything but a piss poor piece of legislation.

You scold dmc for looking after himself but not the rest of the country. That goes both ways, something that isnt good for the country is good for me and I but I dont support it.

I think the theme of “what did you change your mind on” is extremely interesting, but deserving of its own thread. It will get lost buried on this one about Wascally Wepublicans.

We have actually had that thread years ago, I remember because I like reading the reasons why people swing from one political idea to the other side of the same idea (or religion, or whatever) because that represente geowth or at least a lively change.

Oh, and the thread died pretty fast. People like to hang on to their pet ideas.

Thread Information