Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - Dec. 2017

Yppej
    I have also been trying to replace low cost worn out items. Sparked joy is a good motivator to tackle big tasks, bit by bit. Rome wasn't cluttered in a day and it won't be uncluttered in a day. You have impressed me with your focus, and today with your balance.

In my case the danger was a new set of clutter and a new set of boxes, until the “storage shed” and “hall” were both full....

dying and leaving behind 8 unsorted boxes is not a horrible thing, so if they stay in the shed, it isn’t a crisis, just something you don’t want.

EJ: I think this is a great insight and plan. I've been helping my mom deal with clutter for years and years (and her house is much better than it used to be). I like it when we claim a bit of ground so to speak, savor the accomplishment, hold that ground and then progress from there. For example, we cleared her kitchen table a few months ago, which was a huge accomplishment. She has a beautiful, stenciled wood table that hadn't been seen in years, and she would eat from folding TV trays even though she had the kitchen table and a large dining room table because they were both covered with stuff. So now the kitchen table is an oasis of sorts, and I admire it every time I go over. We are using an area of her house now that used to just be a pile of papers and photos. It also helps motivate me and makes me feel like we're accomplishing something!
    Mom talks about being ashamed of her house and always talks about how messy it is, and that she really can't have people over. It really isn't that bad any more, in fact it is a lovely house, but somewhat disordered and cluttered. Mom has always given all her time and energy to other people, and I've wondered if the house clutter isn't a defense of sorts to keep others from moving in on her (figuratively speaking).
    We have really made progress though. There was a time that you couldn't even walk through some of her rooms, and that is far from the case now.
    I agree that you should embrace a strategy that lets you enjoy and celebrate your successes as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

dying and leaving behind 8 unsorted boxes is not a horrible thing
    Chicken Lady, this was my exact thought. And that I'd rather die with them in the storage shed while I was enjoying a clean hallway than die with them in the middle of my house preventing me from enjoying my house. But yes, ideally, I'll get to them eventually!

Part of this revelation came when I was talking to a friend who said, "I've decluttered my whole house except these two boxes that are stacked by the couch that I have to deal with." And then she went on and on about these two boxes, and I wanted to say to her, "Two boxes? Really? Stick 'em in the attic and let your kids deal with them in 30 years!" . It made me realize that many of us struggle with clutter, but at a certain point, perfectionism is really self-defeating.

Yppej and Rosarugosa, thanks for your kind words. Rosarugosa, I identify with your mom so much, and she is so lucky to have your support with this issue. My mom had the same issue, and I was SO judgmental about it! She died 25 years ago when I was 27, so I never was mature enough to show her compassion around it. But cleaning out her very cluttered home after she died did make me realize I needed to look at my own habits and try to change them. What you are doing for your mom is so generous and kind, and I"m sure makes a huge difference in her quality of life.

Yesterday, I moved 5 boxes of stuff for my new office at work from home to that office. I also returned two pairs of boots I didn't need. I'm going to count it as 30 minutes.

And this morning I did another 30 minutes putting Christmas decorations back in the storage shed in the backyard and moving an old broken printer and several big printer cartridges out to the front porch where somebody from Freecycle is going to pick them up (yay!).

Have to prioritize other things today and possibly for much of the long weekend too, but I'll be back at it next week. New total: 16.5 hours.

I finally got back to this today and put in 3.5 hours, so my new total is 20.

I'm still feeling overwhelmed and like I'm not getting enough done, but last week, I looked back at my posts on this board from when I did 40 hours last winter and last summer, and I noticed both times I was feeling overwhelmed for at least the first 25 hours and then I started to gain some momentum and feel better after that. So I guess I have five more hours of feeling despair before I start to see progress.

But stuff IS moving out the door, which feels good.

I filled my car and took it to the thrift store today. It is funny because I will think I have nothing left to declutter and then will find stuff. I am really liking having a much leaner look. Also I probably have a fourth of the clothes I used to have. I rarely shop anymore either unless something wears out. Like I ripped my comforter while making the bed so threw it away and bought another one.

Congrats, Teacher Terry, on getting a load to the thrift store.

Did an hour yesterday. New total: 21.

I had planned to make a big push today, but it turned out I only did a little push. I was productive in other areas though.

1.5 hours today, so new total is 22.5.

I made a little progress this weekend. My six-year-old and I went through all her clothes and one bookshelf in her room and came up with a bunch of stuff to give away. It's a big deal for me that I'm making time to help her develop the habit of weeding stuff out. She seems fine with getting rid of most things she's outgrown, which is such a relief. I want her to grow up with good decluttering skills!

Also, I spent a LOT of time coordinating the purchase, pick-up and set up of an Ikea dresser which I bought on Craigslist. Half my clothes have been in the guest bedroom, so I bought this dresser for my bedroom, so I could clear out the guest room dresser. Moving this new dresser in required I move out two low bookcases full of books that were in my bedroom, which took some time. I also spent some time finding a big bookcase online to put in the living room so that I can get rid of the other two bookcases.

I also spent a lot of time looking for a mirror and a picture for the guest bedroom to make it look a bit nicer.

Obviously only some of this was decluttering, but it's all stuff that's going to eventually make the house nicer. I'll give myself 1 hour of credit for it, so new total is 23.5.

Thread Information