Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting a Decluttering Goal in Units of Time Using Flylady's Timer Method - Dec. 2017

I actually had the whole morning to myself before my daughter comes home and we go to meet my family, so I did two more hours this morning. A lot of this was moving clutter to one centralized spot (the guest bedroom), but I'm counting it anyway because I threw out quite a lot in the process and getting the clutter to a few consolidated places is sort of the first step in going through it.

Now the whole downstairs and two of the three bedrooms are what I can "surface clean" - not perfect, but tidy. After the clutter was out of the way, I vacuumed and swept and dusted surfaces and man, it's a wonder what that does for my mood. Best possible Christmas present I could have given myself and my daughter: an orderly home. That just seems to be a lesson I need to learn over and over again.

I also took some time yesterday to clean out the car and take it to the car wash. We are leaving on a long car trip today, and it's also a good feeling to be in a clean car.

New total: 6.

Over the past week, I've cleaned out 4 clothing drawers and the medicine cabinet. Apparently this urge to declutter is common with new retirees.

Yppej
    Good for you on seizing the moment. I imagine I would get a lot of satisfaction throwing out work clothes.

Rosa, Retirement is when I started to work on decluttering...realized all those dresses were not necessary and many other things. Of course it is a never ending process and as I picked up new activities the clutter seemed to grow. I only regret getting rid of 2 charm bracelets...everything else I can hardly remember what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Good for you on seizing the moment. I imagine I would get a lot of satisfaction throwing out work clothes.
    Oh hell yes! Not that my work clothes were very formal, but the week after I retired, I pitched some upper end items, ones i never realky liked.

My friend recently offered several of her decluttered jackets saying “I know you wear jackets” and I reminded her that I dont work any more and need only a summer and a fall/winter jacket.

It is amazing how few pieces of clothing I need, now that I don't care if I wear the same things over and over. I have way too many cardigan tops...just cannot seem to do without several in different weights and colors.

Are giveback boxes just for clothing?

Well, it's taken me a while to get back to this goal, but I did one more hour on Friday and another hour today, so my new total is 8.

At this stage, it's hard to get motivated - especially because the house is in such bad shape that I don't see much progress after a couple of hours of work - but I know if I stick to it, I will gain momentum.

Congrats to the rest of you for making progress on your own efforts.

EJ, good for you doing 2 more hours!

It's taken me a while to get with it, but I have been mindfully trying to do 15 minutes of decluttering in spurts. One night I just did my undies drawer! Another, my sock drawer. I cleaned my closet of two garbage bags of clothing I haven't worn for a year or longer.

Well this weekend i finally attacked the woman-cave (sewing room). Saturday I decluttered and found places for all the things I'd brought from my mom's. (some went into the trash) Then yesterday, a bit more organizing and complete vacuuming! It looks great and I'm ready to finish two projects.

My husband seemed to be channeling my energy (although he's home all the time and could do this any day, he didn't until I was busy) and decluttered and reorganized the kitchen drawers and cupboards--with my blessing. He does most of the cooking anyway. Some items we rarely use went in a clear tub and out in the garage where I can retrieve anything I might need whenever.

Feels great---mostly I just needed a rainy day AFTER holidays.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information