Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you sell on ebay?

I know 2 people who donated full sets of china recently, one to the local cancer society thrift store and another to a local pet rescue thrift store. Both received receipts for $150 and $10 gift certificates for the stores. Presumably the receipts will be tax deductions. Worth a try.

I have sold small collectible dolls on eBay. The market for them waxes and wanes, as with many items. I always use the flat rate usps shipping boxes, as boxes are free and I can accurately quote shipping price. EBay has gotten much easier to use over the years. I also buy things there a few times a year; things like replacement power cords for electronics and appliances and have never been disappointed. (I am careful to stick with US sellers.)

For those who are more knowledgeable, does Ebay suggest a shipping price?
    They have actual prices, since they are tied up with USPS. You tell them how big/how heavy the item is, and they tell you what USPS will charge.

Are there actual sales for both pieces and entire sets of your chinaware?

every year we have multiple sets of china to sell at our neighborhood’s flea market/antiques booth, and some sell, some do not.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are these actual sales for both pieces and entire sets of your chinaware?
    Not sure if this is directed at me, forgive me if not, I am not selling whole sets of china. I am interested in selling pieces collected over years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Not sure if this is directed at me, forgive me if not, I am not selling whole sets of china. I am interested in selling pieces collected over years.
    then, you might do ok if someone is looking for specific pieces to fill in their own sets. Do you know the name (maker and pattern) for each piece? If someone is searching text for paterns they want, you will need to list them.

Sure, if someone wants something I am offering, the china pattern and maker are known to both of us. Not worried about that, as things like Poppytrail and Denby and Midwinter always have a market, if small. I guess I am more hung up on the mechanics of selling, like shipping, and taking Paypal, stuff like that.

As far as Paypal, you can use your paypal account to purchase shipping through them, and you have the option of paying now, or having it taken out of the proceeds later. The benefit to buying shipping with them is that they'll have all the tracking numbers. Keep in mind, that ebay enforces a delay on when money gets into your account, for me its typically been in the 1-2 week range (I guess this is so buyers have a chance to protest if there is a problem before the money actually gets to you), and they do take out their commission. Ebay has done a pretty good job of making the whole transaction pretty seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    As far as Paypal, you can use your paypal account to purchase shipping through them, and you have the option of paying now, or having it taken out of the proceeds later. The benefit to buying shipping with them is that they'll have all the tracking numbers. Keep in mind, that ebay enforces a delay on when money gets into your account, for me its typically been in the 1-2 week range (I guess this is so buyers have a chance to protest if there is a problem before the money actually gets to you), and they do take out their commission. Ebay has done a pretty good job of making the whole transaction pretty seamless.
    Thanks, herbgeek, this is really helpful! That is fascinating about purchasing shipping through Paypal. Thanks for letting me know about the 1-2 week delay in payment from Ebay.

I just listed a few things on eBay for the first time ever, and as mentioned in this thread, eBay really does make the process user-friendly! They walked me through item description, listing of features, pricing the item and price of shipping. You can just drag photos in, so it couldn't be easier. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

My tip as mentioned is know how much shipping will cost. Either by boxing the item or seeing what size post office priority box item fits in.

Thread Information