Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tiny house dream plans

tiny house dream plans

I am having my fantasy tiny house project, hey sometimes these things actually happen when you plan a lot ahead of time! I have been looking at a lot of tiny houses, even went to the tiny house jamboree last summer in Colorado Springs. Then I started really looking around my apartment, and I have some antiques that I just adore and want to keep. One is a secretary with a glass door that my grandmother got for her wedding in the 1930's. When we were little my mom had the glass replaced with a plastic sheet, plexiglass may work if I am avoiding breakage in a moving situation. I measured the 3 things I really really love to see if they were reasonable sized and I think they would work, I have small furniture.

Anyone looking at tiny houses and see people using 'real' furniture?

I have been watching all kinds of videos on Tiny Houses. If someone wants it, it can be done. I even saw an elevator bed that used garage door hardware to raise it up and down. Seemed a great idea. Check out the ideas in this one. They keep coming and coming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjJd4tkvSU Most of the time, "real" furniture only has one purpose and in a tiny house, things have to be multipurpose. But I am sure it can be done. The most successful homes were designed and built for what the person wanted and not by a builder for a wide audience.

The biggest issue with "tiny houses" is they re illegal almost anywhere in the US. At least anywhere there are people. The size, sewage issues, wheels, etc. make them illegal for all but some RV parks. Has anything changed in CO since this article: http://gazette.com/tiny-houses-runni...rticle/1607554

If I'm not mistaken, Portland's response to their homeless crisis includes relaxing rules on tiny houses, RVs, MIL apartments, etc.--an idea whose time has come, certainly. IMO, tiny houses would be great for students, the homeless, and others who could happily live out of a backpack. I get claustrophobic even watching shows about them.

:-) Yes, Portland is the outlyer. But anything is possible in Portland. Also very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    :-) Yes, Portland is the outlyer. But anything is possible in Portland. Also very expensive.
    Most West Coast cities are these days. I imagine relaxed housing restrictions will be the rule rather than the exception before long.

Denver metro is now 14th on the most expensive places to live list, so we are in the expensive club! All I have heard about it being more possible is a homeless village in Denver, I don't have details handy. It is still not legal however there is a lot of interest. I probably should be looking at stairs instead of ladders to the loft since I will be even older,

Parts of Colorado Springs are set to accept tiny houses if all the rules are followed and permits obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Parts of Colorado Springs are set to accept tiny houses if all the rules are followed and permits obtained.
    When the light rail to Denver is done it would be so easy to commute also! And then the cost will follow immediately. My sister has a small house on her property, was supposed to be a pool house originally and the previous owners never built the pool. We have joked around a little, it is an hour north of Denver and I have so much I do in Denver. And still it is a place to live.

I would really like to be mostly self powered however, compost toilet, solar panels, etc. I was trained to take a 3 minute shower as a kid and have always kept it under 5 minutes so that is helpful, also my cooking habits are easy on a limited energy source, a step up from camping cooking most of the time at home.

The biggest problem is the yarn, where would I put all my yarn?

One one house I saw this morning, she had hatches built underneath the floor that could be accessed with trap door in the floor and they were pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I have been watching all kinds of videos on Tiny Houses. If someone wants it, it can be done. I even saw an elevator bed that used garage door hardware to raise it up and down. Seemed a great idea. Check out the ideas in this one. They keep coming and coming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjJd4tkvSU Most of the time, "real" furniture only has one purpose and in a tiny house, things have to be multipurpose. But I am sure it can be done. The most successful homes were designed and built for what the person wanted and not by a builder for a wide audience.

The biggest issue with "tiny houses" is they re illegal almost anywhere in the US. At least anywhere there are people. The size, sewage issues, wheels, etc. make them illegal for all but some RV parks. Has anything changed in CO since this article: http://gazette.com/tiny-houses-runni...rticle/1607554
    What is the designer’s thinking in the Alaska house with the “guest” bed under the real bed? How does that work in actuality? Do we assume that in cases of a guest, the hosts hitch their bed higher? If so, how do they get into it?

i do like the mechanical system to lift the bed, it is very smart.

A tiny house with guest quarter seems silly to me, but then, it might be necessary for the homeowner if he has his children staying on weekends and vacations.

Thread Information