Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical strategies to cope with being alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    After the fizzling-out of my most recent romance I was thinking about strategies for coping with being alone in the long term.

Now, I am not just talking about feeling lonesome. I am talking about the emotional, mental, logistical, financial, etc. issues that come with being alone/living alone for the long term.

Yesterday I was eating a big bite of baked salmon when it, just for a second, got caught in my throat. I could not inhale or exhale. I managed to cough it up. But had I begun to really choke, I could have died as there is no one to help me.

I welcome suggestions from you all about how to deal with the emotional, mental, logistical, financial, etc. issues of being alone long term.

As always: Snark is welcome, but I do want real ideas too!
    Several years ago a man in his late fifties died in my town. He was newly retired and moved here from Ohio, having bought a small condo, and had his bills on auto pay. He died in his condo and no one knew until his sister contacted the Sherriff's Department and asked them to do a wellness check because she could not contact him. An autopsy showed that he had died about eighteen months earlier of what they believe was a heart attack. Unfortunately, your fears are rational.

There are more of these stories than we probably know. This was just in the Alaska papers. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018...ced-for-years/

Your GF was fat as I am 5’7’’ and the same weight. I am also fat. So that dispenses with that myth.

If you don't figure out why past relationships ended, you won't have a future long-lasting relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "I am an avid reader, fisherman, and rescue dog enthusiast. I live simply and enjoy minimalism.

I have gotten into traveling recently -- just a backpack and a plane ticket is my style. In the past couple years I have gone to Israel, Cuba, Jordan, Argentina, and Uruguay. I have also been to England, Spain, Costa Rica, Canada, Aruba, and Portugal. My next trip is either Iceland or Panama!

I love all kinds of music -- yacht rock, disco, funk, folk, outlaw country, and so on.

I am looking for a serious relationship that will lead to a life partnership. What I value most in a significant other are empathy, a sense of humor, shared values, and a mutual physical attraction.

Talk to me about travel, your dog, or any book you're reading."
    You left out "no children"......that way you won't waste her time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I like it. Gives me an idea of who you are.
    I agree.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yacht rock?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Yacht rock on satellite radio is what we used to call soft rock. Lots of 70's, 80's radio songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Your GF was fat as I am 5’7’’ and the same weight. I am also fat. So that dispenses with that myth.
    The myth that I am some "not fat chicks" hater type?

I would say she was "thick." But yeah, you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    You left out "no children"......that way you won't waste her time!
    It says that in a little side bar.

Thread Information