Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical strategies to cope with being alone?

I met with "the minimalist mom" for a drink yesterday. We both showed up a couple minutes early with a book in hand. She told me she has a total of five towels and that she does not have a "real bed" but a memory foam mattress. She also has a small capsule wardrobe with just ten primary items. She only allows her daughter two gifts for birthdays and holidays -- "one material item and one experiential gift."

She does, however, engage in a form of minimalism I actually don't agree with: Bandit Purging.

What is Bandit Purging?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What is Bandit Purging?
    That is when you purge someone else's stuff without their permission for their own damn good.

Does she do that to her kid, or to other adults?

i’m pretty sure if you do that to other adults, it’s called “theft”. If you do it to your kid, (or other family members) imho, it’s called “violation of trust” and you’re asking for all kinds of issues now and later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Does she do that to her kid, or to other adults?

i’m pretty sure if you do that to other adults, it’s called “theft”. If you do it to your kid, (or other family members) imho, it’s called “violation of trust” and you’re asking for all kinds of issues now and later.
    She told us she purges her kid's old/excess clothes.

But another minimalist who was at the meeting later on told us how he is also a bandit purger. He purges stuff from his mom's hoarded basement.

How old is the kid?

How old is the kid?
    Six.

Ok, at six the kid is only minimally able to make those decision about clothing. Hopefully the parent is involving her - to both help her learn to make good decisions and to respect her preferences, but it’s not a huge deal.

Ok, at six the kid is only minimally able to make those decision about clothing. Hopefully the parent is involving her - to both help her learn to make good decisions and to respect her preferences, but it’s not a huge deal.
    Nope, that is how bandit purging works. The kid's clothes just disappear from their hangers.

The minimalist mom told me this when we were having a drink: "I might be an over-purger!"

I said: "No such thing!"

And we both giggled.

Thread Information