Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Practical strategies to cope with being alone?

Wow you guys. It must be harder than I thought to act normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Right? You'd think someone could hold it together for a cup of coffee and a scone.

(Bonus for today though: I baked enough scones for tomorrow!)

Too funny Bae

I like it when people show their hand early--way preferable to those who hide all their dirt under the rug until you've invested a lot of time in them.

That reminds me of the guy I met for drinks--recommended by a friend--who spent an hour or two going on about how Hitler was right--just misunderstood--and say, I hear you drive a Volkswagen! I admitted to being partially German, which practically sent him into paroxysms of delight. I didn't see him again--he was busted in California. last I heard, for gun trafficking. I've never been a fan of blind dates, and that sealed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    For some people... I guess I was pretty lucky when I was dating, though I heard some stories from the women I was dating. One involved a first date (!) in which the guy offered to "pop" her "divorce cherry" (she declined his generosity).

I agree with Jane; better to see the dysfunction before you get too close. I preferred to meet in very public locations for the first couple of dates and always had something (even if it was organizing my shampoo bottles at home) scheduled for two hours after our date started so I had a ready excuse in case things were going south ("Oh, geez, I gotta get going..."). I was reticent on the details: didn't meet at my place (or theirs), used the throwaway email address until we became an item, etc. Though I was pretty fearless about "fishing off the company dock", the company at which I worked was big enough that, if things didn't work out, we didn't necessarily ever have to run across each other again.

I enjoyed dating, but maybe that's because I didn't run into a string of -- umm -- interesting people like that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Right? You'd think someone could hold it together for a cup of coffee and a scone.

(Bonus for today though: I baked enough scones for tomorrow!)
    Married myself, but several single friends have regaled me with tales of some of their first dates. It's interesting how some people can't hold it together for just a few hours. Then again, they show their hand early so you can move on.

By chance, DH and I went to a local restaurant and lo and behold, one of my friends was there on a first date, though we didn't notice until after we were seated. They were just a few booths away but by the way the guy was talking about his divorce (broadcasting was more like it) I could see there was not going to be a next date for my friend, which there wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That reminds me of the guy I met for drinks--recommended by a friend--who spent an hour or two going on about how Hitler was right--just misunderstood--and say, I hear you drive a Volkswagen! I admitted to being partially German, which practically sent him into paroxysms of delight. I didn't see him again--he was busted in California. last I heard, for gun trafficking. I've never been a fan of blind dates, and that sealed it.
    My one and only blind date was set up by a friend. It really didn't go well, just all around awkward, nothing really in common though my friend was convinced we would hit it off. But it created an awkward workplace situation afterward for my friend, as this guy was a coworker of hers and he didn't want to interact with her. It was weird for her and I felt rather bad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    Married myself
    Wait, is that even legal?

UL, that could be the answer to all your problems - the one person who finds all of your quirks appealing and wants to meet all of your improvement goals....

It's a thing. It's called sologamy.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's a thing. It's called sologamy.
    The term I always heard was go f yourself.

Thread Information