Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical strategies to cope with being alone?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Oh come on! You were holding that one back as a zinger - and it was certainly a good one!
    Yeah, he can do comedy. He has gotta turn this show into humor otherwise he will cry.

Meditation has helped a lot. It made me realize that I can be happy while being alone. In the quiet of reading a book, or journaling. But being alone all the time can be hard too. You can try local meetups in your area.

This past week has been pretty much my first week of being alone for real. It's a work in progress :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This past week has been pretty much my first week of being alone for real. It's a work in progress :-)
    To appropriate a phrase from another status, "It gets better."
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm fortunate; I spent my formative years as an only child. I learned to love solitude roaming the fields and dunes as a junior naturalist. I require little companionship. Although I wouldn't mind a little more than I have now, I'm pretty happy entertaining myself. Right now I'm watching the neighborhood birds make drunken fools of themselves diving at Madrona berries in the sunlight.

Last night I went to a long happy hour as two colleagues were quitting and moving on.

The happy hour ended up going until past 1am.

But... some people brought their spouses or significant others.

And I made what I consider an observation of note.

If you don't have a partner but you want one, people look at you a certain way.

If you do want a partner and you do indeed have one, then people look at you like you are worthy of having a partner.

I have a dang cold today. Which sucks...

And it sucks more because I am sweating it out alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    If you don't have a partner but you want one, people look at you a certain way.

If you do want a partner and you do indeed have one, then people look at you like you are worthy of having a partner.
    I've long observed that myself. I met more potential girlfriends when I was with a girlfriend than I did when I was solo. Best I can figure it, being seen with a girlfriend means you must be an okay partner; if you're not, you're (at best) an unknown quantity. Not a complete theory, I know, but it happened enough to me to draw a line among the dots.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I suspect it's just how people can react to what they perceive as failure at things they think should be perfectly achievable if one wants them. I mean if one fails at the impossible dream (to make it into pro-sports or to break into acting or something), people get that, as those goals were kind of beyond them to begin with, but at the commonplace .. If one really and truly doesn't want something it's not failure exactly (might in some cases be strange but that is a lesser stigma to just be seen as a weirdo than to be seen as a failure).
    Trees don't grow on money

Steve- another possibility: when you have a partner, you are being more yourself, relaxed and others can see that. When I've seen people alone (particularly in venues where there is alcohol), sometimes people can exude a more hungry/looking vibe which can also appear as needy. You get a better response to relaxed vs.needy.

Thread Information