Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike-alohlic

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Bike-alohlic

My name is Happy Hiker and I'm addicted to bicycles. Not really, just a little bit. I do enjoy my bicycles. I currently have three in my stable: a vintage Schwinn touring bike, a folding bike, and a mountain bike. I use them for different occasions. I paid under $50 for each of them used.

I so enjoy riding them on errands. We ditched one of our two cars and both ride daily around town for exercise and for shopping. We work at home, so no commute's involved.

Riding makes me feel about 12 years old. Free and carefree. I love that they consume zero fuel and give me exercise out in the fresh air. But most of all, it's that feel like a kid again that makes my day.

How about you? Do you love your bike(s)? What do you ride?
    peaceful, easy feeling

Sounds so nice to be able to do this, I am a little envious. I live 10 minutes out of town on a busy highway so a bike is not an easy option for me
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just own one bike, but it's my only vehicle (no car in our household). I give the bike plenty of love on a regular basis, and it treats me very well indeed! We ride year-round for everything we do; the only difference in winter is the studded tires and more clothing.

I love the way I've heard bicycle transportation termed: "It's like golfing to work!" What a great way to live.

- Fred

I want to bike, but at over 50 I am still scared. I have a nice new old bike this year and will get it out eventually. Give me courage to do it.

Kally, I hereby grant you courage, but what makes you scared? That you haven't biked in a while? That you had a bad experience with a bike? That you live in dangerous biking territory? Surely not your age, for I am older than you...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Kally I am sending you "courage vibes". Honestly you do not know what you are misssing. Just like a previous poster said riding a bike makes me feel like I'm twelve again. I am 50 and I love riding my bike as much as I can.

Kally, where are you located? Some cities hold beginner bicycling for adult classes that I've heard are absolutely fantastic. I might be able to help you run one down.

Oh I so Agree with you! I ride as much as the Mi weather allows. As I ride I think to myself how great things would be if more people rode to and from the daily places they have to go. I have yet to meet a grumpy biker. Everyone smiles, perhaps waves and says hello, unless they are racers. I put my bag or two of groceries in my panniers or basket and watch the same amount of bags go into the Car in the lot. Rain, well I have rain gear I carry. Cold, I have insulated shoes and clothes. Snow, I am done no riding I whimp.
    I ride a Trek, two of them actually. One for daily rides and one hooked to a bike trailer and jumbo basket for groceries.

Many cyclists where I live have a bad reputation. We have dedicated bike lanes on the nearby boulevard yet the bikers arrogantly race through the stop signs at intersections, ride three and four abreast, etc. Quite often, there are auto/cyclist incidents where someone without a helmet gets their head scrambled or a limb amputated. That being said, I would love to get an old cruiser and just amble around the neighborhood for errands. The busy roads would scare me though as cars rule around here.

Pinkytoe, I hear you! Sometimes I think we bikers need to pass a safety test before we're allowed our two wheels...I live in a tourist town and I see things that make me cringe--large groups of bikers spread out on both side of our narrow roads, impeding all traffic, riding on the wrong side of the road, turning without signaling our intentions so motorists are surprised, and yes, ignoring stop signs and traffic lights at will---it makes no sense to challenge a car or truck while on two wheels (the rule of tonnage) so I do hope all of us know how to bicycle safely...and teach others how to do so, too!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information