Thread: first viable job to apply for (and update)

first viable job to apply for (and update)

Okay, I have been following some job boards and have a few places I search. I just found the first viable job to apply for. That means it is within a couple thousand dollars of what I make, it is something I have the basic qualifications for, it is in the area, and it is something I would like doing. It is a tuition classification coordinator, sounds like a lot of student support tasks at the college nearby. I have thought that work in higher education is a good fit. It is more data based than my current work, a lot of communication between all the parts of the system and a deep understanding of the tuition classification rules. Of course I would have to learn that, however I do know how to intellectually manage a lot of information. I am making notes about my application and going to officially apply Tuesday morning (read an article about the timing of doing applications, crazy stuff). I can emphasize my work in collaborating between many stakeholders, clear writing and an ability to follow clear guidelines and rules.

Edited to add: I am actually quite scared to do this, any cheering is welcome!

Now I am back to work after my week vacation as well. My first day back I had a meeting about 'issues' that came up at my site (one staff called out, of course). It was over an hour, my supervisor had 2 typed pages, single spaced, of what to talk about, and his supervisor came to the meeting. I am now required to come to the main office for our meetings, I think it is because I answered one phone call one time for an essential payroll task. In any case I felt it was supportive that his supervisor was there, more that she was watching him than I was in trouble. A couple times she made a small empathetic comment when I got overwhelmed with the meeting. And she did take notes, which included my point of view on some things. I ended up not losing my temper because I had someone there. Our largest conflict is over the cancelled training and she noted that I did not agree on the timeline of him cancelling my training. I am debating about going back into my emails and proving my point, The most brilliant moment was when she asked him a question, he said yes, and then he said yes to the opposite thing that I said, and then she called him on it and had him get to one answer.

Meanwhile we had our pre-licensing visit while I was gone and my staff did great!

His supervisor is evaluating him. I think his days are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    His supervisor is evaluating him. I think his days are numbered.
    Yes I think so, however it can still go either way. He was supported by some very high level people to get into this position, so it may be a long term coaching situation. I just want to do my job thanks, Funny how they are pushing for me to coach out my problem staff, how we shouldn't deal with lower quality staff just because there are no staff, and I am having that conversation with him of all people.

I hope the New Year will bring you a new job. I always kind of enjoyed going on job interviews. Not so much the other side. Where else but the doctor can you sit and tell someone all about yourself?

What a great approach to take to the interview process!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I hope the New Year will bring you a new job. I always kind of enjoyed going on job interviews. Not so much the other side. Where else but the doctor can you sit and tell someone all about yourself?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Thank you, i consider this a process that will take patience, and interviews sound like scary stuff. Need to practice this with a buddy. I tend to need practice

Cheering you on, Zoe Girl...

Thread Information