Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Today is our "day off", with family celebrations on the previous two days leaving us more than glad to observe Jolaflokabod today. We had fun and got some much-wanted gifts; now is time to sit back and reflect and recharge. Enjoy the season the way that makes you happy!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Merry Christmas! Was supposed to drive the 2 hours to my goddaughter's family after church today, but I got a message early this morning that all except mom had flu last week and are still hacking. I can't afford to get sick as we've been so busy at work. Plus, I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to the drive since I have to work tomorrow. I'll order some Chinese food later maybe
    Thank god for the Chinese! What would we do without them

we are cooking a turkey, but there wont be much to go with it. Mashed potatoes and green beans are about all I wish to muster.

Spent less then I have ever spent and I am feeling less stress then ever before!
    +1

There has often been much anguish around here about it in years past, but really I've come to see there is absolutely no reason to celebrate in any way one doesn't want to, and that includes gift shopping - there is no reason to buy a single gift although if one wants to for kids or others then they can (and if others still give one gifts so be it, hopefully it's at least something one wants that doesn't have to go to the thrift! But if not oh well).

Yea other people's materialism can still be galling if part of one's deepest belief system is the opposite, but there is only so much one can do.
    Trees don't grow on money

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and enjoy a day off.

I had a great time at my daughters last night, we all went there to make it easier on them with a baby. Very nice time. Today the kids all need to go to other family members houses so I am on my own, feels okay and restful. I got a bean soup mix from a family but didn't get the canned tomatoes I needed, argh. So I am making some red lentil dal to go with the leftover samosas from last night.

Very low key and low stress at our place. We visited DH's family last night and it was very nice. They do a $25 Yankee Swap. DH participated but I did not because I always end up with some piece of crap to get rid of (last year it was a thing for microwaving bacon and we don't even have a microwave).
    It was snowing this AM, but then it cleared up and got sunny and beautiful this afternoon. We just did some shoveling, and I shoveled the elderly woman across the street's walk and driveway, which made me feel good. We bought some special treats for the birds that DH just put out in the yard. Going to have a bowl of pasta and meatballs for dinner.
    Holiday shopping this year:
    4 tins of cookies from Costco for hostess gifts & work (I brought one into work the week before I left) $44
    6 amaryllis bulbs for others and 7 for us (my big splurge) I like being the Amaryllis Lady. $65
    1 restaurant gift card for the family that hosted us last night $50
    1 Trader Joe's gift card for a friend who always sends us a wreath (going to try to end this practice in 2018) $50
    1 Yankee Swap gift $25
    Extra treats for birds $10
    Extra treats for us from Trader Joe's $20 cash plus used a $40 gift card (because who can resist?)
    Farmer's Almanac for DH $7.00
    We pay for Mom's cell phone service, but that gets billed monthly so I don't count it in the Xmas budget, and DS pays half.
    So all told we spent less than $300 cash out of pocket and no crap. We are pleased.

Was up at 5am as well but the foot of snow that came in the night on top of 6 inches earlier made the snow-blower essential this morning. The snowplow had left a large pile to clear in everyone's driveway before any could move their car.

Absolutely glorious sunshine and blue sky this morning with strong winds and cold temps forecast for the next couple of days. I don't need drifts of snow to move so hope that sun today packs the snow firmly first.

Started this post and then three friends who had been invited to drop came, two weren't able to join us but it was so much fun. I am always so impressed how a group of women who don't know each other can have such a good time sharing stories of adventures of the past and appreciate what is good today. Lovely Christmas with no gifts planned but their 'presence'.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Merry Christmas to you, also, Razz! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Thank god for the Chinese! What would we do without them

we are cooking a turkey, but there wont be much to go with it. Mashed potatoes and green beans are about all I wish to muster.
    I ended up not getting the Chinese. Stopped at a 24 hour Walgreens on the way home from church, got salsa con queso (aka cheese dip), a bag of those Scoops tortilla chips, and a Coke. Had that for my treat today. Can of chicken soup for dinner. Thinking of tea and the homemade Christmas cookies I was given by a friend.

Spent most of the day just reading.

My heat was out when I woke up this morning, blowing only cold air without stopping. Called landlord when I got home from church. It was something with the pilot light. All fixed.

Thread Information