Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My vegan pot pie a big hit

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are a few dishes that “everyone on the dietary spectrum” can eat?
    This comment made me wish I knew you in real life. If I wanted someone to tell me the truth, as in “does this shirt look good on me” I could depend on you to tell me the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    This comment made me wish I knew you in real life. If I wanted someone to tell me the truth, as in “does this shirt look good on me” I could depend on you to tell me the truth.
    +1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh you guys, well. I am not always the nicest person in room, haha.

But I really am stumped about a dish everyone can eat. Maybe beans, but what kind of flavoring? Anything I might add such as onion, Indian spices, will be an alergen.

A mix of peas and carrots would be bland enough for all,
    I suppose.

I dont have good imagination here.

I don't think there's a universal food.

I've enjoyed legumes (chana dal!), but I rarely eat them now. I would be circling the charcuterie and cheese plate and overdosing on deviled eggs. I'm celebrating New Year's Eve with a bathtub sized hot buttered brandy. A toast! To a much better year for all!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

But I really am stumped about a dish everyone can eat. Maybe beans, but what kind of flavoring? Anything I might add such as onion, Indian spices, will be an alergen.

I suppose.

i think sometimes we are taught to be too nice. Honesty is always the best way and I don’t think your response was rude in any way. I really meant it. I have a really good friend and we are honest with each other. Sometimes it adds a little friction but we have saved each other from our own follies at times.

Just out of curiosity, what are a few dishes that “everyone on the dietary spectrum” can eat?
    It’s really difficult! Vegans may also have allergies or do pegan. If I’m asked to bring a dessert, I often make Oreo truffles with peanut butter, and prominently mark the dish as containing peanuts. So far, I haven’t run across somebody with a peanut allergy - but pegans and paleoomnis will reject it because of the sugar and flour. Oreos are not health food, but they’re vegan friendly, and the truffles disappear at high speed. For a main course, I’ll do brown rice and offer 3 or 4 different veggie toppings. Just about everybody will eat a marinara sauce. Sautéed eggplant is popular all round, as is my curried cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots topping. Steamed green beans tossed with garlic, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice go down well.

I suppose.

I'm with flowerseverywhere. You're not rude, just direct. Who doesn't appreciate that? As for the "universal food"--I don't know. A lot of people don't like beans (I never did before my palate changed after becoming vegetarian). Also, Indian spices can be a big no-no for people like my husband with sensitive esophagus and stomach.

These days I think you're better off serving two entrees and hoping for the best. We had a traditional ham for Christmas, but because ham is often served with baked beans, it was perfect for me and my daughter. We also roasted a big selection of veggies (onions, Brussel sprouts, carrots, small potatoes) in the oven with olive oil and salt. Very tasty and probably benign enough for everyone.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

well if you are dealing with food sensitivities or allergies then a person can be sensitive or have an allergy to just about any food in existence, so ... there is just no 100% that applies to every human being.

However webmd says (and it probably is a good guideline for avoiding the worst offenders):

Eight things cause about 90% of food allergy reactions:

Milk (mostly in children)
    Eggs
    Peanuts
    Tree nuts, like walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, brazil nuts, and pecans
    Soy
    Wheat and other grains with gluten, including barley, rye, and oats
    Fish (mostly in adults)
    Shellfish (mostly in adults)
    if you are getting into people following strict diets of various sorts all bets are off since this could be anything (though at least vege* are pretty easy to understand).

I might sound food neurotic with sensitivity this sensitivity that to food, but really since I don't have full blown allergies I can eat pretty much any real food in moderation. I just know that some foods are better in moderation for me (eggs and dairy and to a lesser extent wheat, corn, tomatoes, mushrooms). I've mostly run into trouble when I've tried to follow this or that diet many of which make foods that don't agree with me a large part of the diet. So the way to get in real trouble is to blindly follow some diet for theoretical reasons of why a certain food is good or bad without listening to your body and how it actually reacts to food and yet to have a bunch of sensitivities that are making you feel really bad despite "eating this latest trend in 'healthy' eating". A modified Mediterranean diet (one that is modified to minimize my sensitivities, but the use of olive oil as a fat, use of dairy only in low lactose forms in those cultures already does some of that work) is what seems to agree with me.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've made a vegetarian pot pie for holidays in the past. This past Thanksgiving, spouse said he'd really like to do away with the store-bought (Pillsbury) crust and try biscuits or dumplings. This sounds good. What we have trouble with is getting around the heavy carbs in just about any kind of crust or biscuit. On a holiday, though, I think my dietary restrictions can be ignored. Thanks for sharing this!

Thread Information