Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My vegan pot pie a big hit

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

My vegan pot pie a big hit

Son and DIL here for Christmas. Traditional Christmas Eve fare is meat pie made with pork and beef. Since they were coming I wanted to make a hearty meal for them. Another couple bought a large green salad. I made on of these and one traditional meat pie.

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/easy-vegan-pot-pie

the veggies I used were all fresh. Basically I filled a 8”square pan to within a half inch from the top to get a quantity that would fit in the pan I used onion, carrot, garlic, celery, red pepper, potato and 1/2 a cauliflower. I topped it with vegan biscuits made from scratch.

Even the carnivores really liked it, although someone added salt, as I use the minimum in cooking.

The use of almond milk is interesting, both in the gravy and in the biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The use of almond milk is interesting, both in the gravy and in the biscuits.
    I've often used unsweetened almond milk in place of regular milk. It has about the same consistency and no really noticeable almond taste. And almond milk, even opened, seems to keep better than cow's milk -- important when you don't use much of either.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I think it probably tastes good, but where's the protein?

where's the protein?
    1) You don't need protein at each and every meal.
    2) Pretty much all nutritious foods have protein, just maybe not as much as beans or animal flesh. eg 4 grams in a medium potato, 11 grams in a head of cauliflower.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    eating a balanced plant based diet with lots of veggies, beans, nut and some tofu or meat substitutes has served them very well health wise. They look and feel good, have lots of energy, great blood work numbers and so on probably way better than getting a lot of protein from mass produced animals.

An interesting recipe. I usually use olive oil in pastry and biscuits for dishes to share with vegan friends.

Unfortunately, nuts (and legumes) trigger severe migraine for me. I’m glad you posted about this, as I wouldn’t necessarily think to ask about nut milk in the sauce. I’d just ask about mushrooms in the veggie stock. The vegan cheese sauce used in the biscuits would also be a problem for me because of the large amounts of nutritional yeast, another migraine-spiker. Vegan foods can be a real minefield for omnivores with food sensitivities.

I’ve taken to printing out the recipes for dishes I’m going to share, and putting them next to the dish. That way, people know in advance whether they can partake, and those who like the dish just photograph the recipe.

I think it’s important to note that carnivores are animals that eat only meat. Most humans who eat meat also eat plant-sourced foods (often in large quantities) which makes us omnivores.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    An interesting recipe. I usually use olive oil in pastry and biscuits for dishes to share with vegan friends.

Unfortunately, nuts (and legumes) trigger severe migraine for me. I’m glad you posted about this, as I wouldn’t necessarily think to ask about nut milk in the sauce. I’d just ask about mushrooms in the veggie stock. The vegan cheese sauce used in the biscuits would also be a problem for me because of the large amounts of nutritional yeast, another migraine-spiker. Vegan foods can be a real minefield for omnivores with food sensitivities.

I’ve taken to printing out the recipes for dishes I’m going to share, and putting them next to the dish. That way, people know in advance whether they can partake, and those who like the dish just photograph the recipe.

I think it’s important to note that carnivores are animals that eat only meat. Most humans who eat meat also eat plant-sourced foods (often in large quantities) which makes us omnivores.
    i think if I was so sensitive to foods I would not eat shared food Unless I was totally sure Even innocently people can add things that contain nuts or yeast for instance.

the easy thing about these vegans is that they do their best to eat vegan, but if something has one egg or some butter in it they won’t turn it down. They feel like they do their best, but they are not going to be a huge pain for their friends and families. Of course, they have no allergies, which simplifies stuff. At home every product is 100% animal free. You would be surprised at how many products have a small amount of animal products.

I made a chickpea sandwich filling filling with vegan mayo as well which they liked on Ezekiel bread. I don’t really get the Ezekiel bread thing. They love it toasted with natural peanut butter and bananas for breakfast. My breakfast go to is steel cut oats.

today I am making a shepherds pie with lentils and sweet potatoes. It looks super yummy. We try to eat as little animal products as possible, but at this point DH really likes his meat, and has a serving every day. He is a competitive athlete and would have to put a huge amount of effort to get enough of what his body needs during training. I just noticed an article about pro athletes that have gone vegan so I’ll be looking into that.

Food allergies are hard, i am making food and the menu for a retreat with a gluten free person, a person who can't have nightshades, and a vegan. So quite a challenge. I nust had a kid at camp who could not even touch dairy or egg, like wiping a table with yogurt spilled on it would be a problem. That is scary

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've found that I can't eat protein after about 6 pm. This has happened before but last night is a good example. We went out for our annual Christmas Dinner with the boys but they couldn't meet till 8. I had a sm 6 oz steak with whisky butter and garlic mashed potatoes. I was so wired I finally fell asleep about 3 minutes before the alarm this morning.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information