Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Travel

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Simple Travel

Does anyone travel very simply, lightly -- out of a backpack kind of travel?l. And maybe without any electronic devices?

I'm finding all the electronic devices distracting, would like to venture forth appliance free...but am I too hooked to do it??
    peaceful, easy feeling

Yppej
    I did this in college. It aroused the suspicion of customs officials as they doubted someone would travel that lightly and not buy many souvenirs (only a German book to help with my language studies). But I got back in the country as did my brother who also travelled without any checked bags.

Also travelled via car, with a young child and a dog and more luggage but no electronics. One winter I landed up in the ditch during a snowstorm and kind strangers in Bois d'Arc, Missouri who had cell phones stopped and helped us.

We traveled to India in 1991 with only a carryon suitcase each. A young English gal on our British tour was traveling the world with a backpack. She had finished overland Africa, was doing India with our group, then on to Thailand and Australia.

I am no help with this one. I like to bring everything I own with me just in case I need it!

Don't know if you consider this simple... but just got back from a short trip to Las Vegas.... Roundtrip, nonstop for $68 (including everything)!

Used to go carry-on only when I worked at an airline and seats were never guaranteed. We still travel pretty light but have expanded beyond whatever can be shoved under the ever-shrinking coach seat.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Ultralight recently traveled to Israel and also South America with a simple, smallish backpack. Here is hoping he sees your message.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-26-17 at 1:13pm.

I have friends who just got back from 8 weeks in Italy and France. They each carried a small backpack. If they bought something new to wear they got rid of something from their backpack. Used their phone cameras only. There are so many youtube videos on packing light and suggestions for getting the most outfits out of a few pieces. Apparently there is even a jacket with liner pockets. I remember seeing one guy pack for several weeks in the jacket.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I travel with just one rucksack (though I have a collapsible day pack I put inside the rucksack for day long excursions and such).

I don't have a cell phone. So when I travel I take an older iPhone my BIL loans to me. I use it for emailing and occasionally to get directions on foot. I may also look at a restaurant review or some such.

Though I really want to take a trip somewhere with just my day pack's worth of stuff and no phone or other electronics at all. I think a Caribbean Island might be my best bet for a first super-minimalist/gadget-free trip.

I went to Aruba a couple years ago. And looking back on it, I could have enjoyed much of the island without a cell phone. The woman I traveled there with had a cell phone and used it for internetting and such, so by proxy I had a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ultralight recently traveled to Israel and also South America with a simple, smallish backpack. Here is hoping he sees your message.
    Got it. Thanks!

Thread Information