Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fit bit

I am so glad others like fitness trackers. I have had a few even the Apple Watch (hated). I love my ugly last generation Garmin Vivoactive. I like the gps and app. Running I need the you go girl instant praise I get from it! Silly isn't it that I need to be rewarded even if no one else ever sees.

SO because it is ugly to wear all day, I tried the Apple too much tech for me, then in the fall I got the Motiv Ring and resold it on eBay asap. Not enough tech. Then last month for Christmas I got a Fossil hybrid watch, that was too dressy and did not reward me enough with tech and such. DIL has it now.So I got a pink band off eBay for the old Garmin and I will be happy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Mine helped me lose 40lbs 3 years ago.
    YEAH!

I want to get a fitbit for dh for Valentine's day - his doctor says he's getting metabolic syndrome.

I'm thinking I'll buy him the Charge 2.

I don't really understand how they work- do they sync with your phone? Do you read the data on the fitbit or on an app? He has an iPhone 5s and I think it will work with that.

For calories - do you have to type in everything you eat? Does it figure out nutrients too?

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I want to get a fitbit for dh for Valentine's day - his doctor says he's getting metabolic syndrome.

I'm thinking I'll buy him the Charge 2.

I don't really understand how they work- do they sync with your phone? Do you read the data on the fitbit or on an app? He has an iPhone 5s and I think it will work with that.

For calories - do you have to type in everything you eat? Does it figure out nutrients too?

Thanks for your help
    I have the Charge2 and love it. I also have an iPhone 5s, and it works great. It syncs with your phone app, and also online. So, you can read the data on all three, although it's presented differently on each. The things I use the most are the exercise metrics--steps, stairs, intense exercise/cardio. I always look at my phone first thing in the morning to see my sleep patterns and how much I've slept. And I regularly check my heart rate, resting and non-resting, during the day.

You do have to manually input your food intake and water intake and weight. When you log food, it breaks it down by calorie, fat, fiber, carb, sodium and protein.

Another advantage of the Charge2 is that it flags you when you get a phone call and you can read text messages on it when they come in.

I think your DH will love it! I bought mine with AMEX points, and when my DH saw it he got one for himself.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks Catherine, very helpful!

Yay, my dh does LOVE his fitbit Charge 2, and they lowered the price a week before Valentine's day.
    I'm considering one for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Yay, my dh does LOVE his fitbit Charge 2, and they lowered the price a week before Valentine's day.
    I'm considering one for myself
    Cool!

One interesting personal factoid. As you may know, we lost our dog of 10 years last week. She was a fabulous dog, but her one "character flaw" was that she would wake me up every night and disturb my sleep. Plus, I would get up at the crack of dawn every morning to walk her, no matter what time I went to bed. Then, of course, in January when she got sick, I stayed up a lot with her and rarely got a good night sleep. I miss her tremendously, but one thing I've noticed is that I have gone from getting extremely variable amounts of sleep with deficient REM and deep sleep stages to sleeping between 7.5 and 8 hours EVERY NIGHT, and achieving the top end levels of REM and deep sleep according to the benchmark for people my age.

I just wonder how many brain cells and beauty sleep I've lost over the years! Yes, she was worth a few brain cells and wrinkles, but still.....

Interesting stuff you can learn with your Fitbit.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, I hear you on the dog and sleep. Over the years with dogs...14 years we had chihuahuas who never slept all night 2 am was the mid night let me out time. This pattern becomes set in the sleep pattern or non sleep. Now we have 3 big dogs they would never have to go out unless I yell at them! Little Jack thinks I want to get up at 2 as I roll over and I started that patten of letting her out then realized the same was happening that it was just a pattern. BUT we have Polly a 51 pound problem we love. Polly has never gone to bed when everyones does, wanders in whenever and it caused problems with little Jack Russell proving her dominance. Growing and barking about 3 hours after I fall asleep. The Polly moves a great deal and sneezes often.

Yes those that make dogs sleep in other room must sleep so much better.

I ended up getting the new Vivoactive 3 Garmin and love it. I still really only use the tracking of my exercise/time and distance, but like the look better. Too funny I will be listening to hubby talk about work and say OH have to stop and breathe I am at medium stress according to watch!

Thread Information