Thread: Looking ahead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Maybe I've been into a simple lifestyle so long it's become habit, but if I made conscious decision to up my spending I'd have to think for a while of what to buy that would bring more value to my life. It seems like at some point there are diminishing returns to spending. I suppose it all depends on what we get pleasure from.

My investments are more conservative. A friend put it as he no longer needed a home run or double, but was fine with just getting one first. My version of that is keeping up with inflation. We've seen the dot com bubble, the financial crisis, and probably a couple of other market set backs. I don't have a decade or more drawing down my savings in a down market wondering how soon it's will recover. That has some risk of impacting my lifestyle.

Within some rational limits, there might not be a right or wrong. A simple lifestyle and conservative investments got me to an early retirement and that's what has worked for me. My take looking ahead anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Maybe I've been into a simple lifestyle so long it's become habit, but if I made conscious decision to up my spending I'd have to think for a while of what to buy that would bring more value to my life. It seems like at some point there are diminishing returns to spending. I suppose it all depends on what we get pleasure from.

My investments are more conservative. A friend put it as he no longer needed a home run or double, but was fine with just getting one first. My version of that is keeping up with inflation. We've seen the dot com bubble, the financial crisis, and probably a couple of other market set backs. I don't have a decade or more drawing down my savings in a down market wondering how soon it's will recover. That has some risk of impacting my lifestyle.

Within some rational limits, there might not be a right or wrong. A simple lifestyle and conservative investments got me to an early retirement and that's what has worked for me. My take looking ahead anyway.
    Nothing wrong with this, My investments are much more conservative now than in the past. I can actually live quite well if I just lived on my fixed income portion.

But looking ahead I also don’t see a need to leave my kids with a large inheritance. I’ve joined a new country club that has a golf coarse I like better, my wife likes the old club, so I’m a member of both. I just bought the wife a nice new car, I’ll probably buy myself one soon, it’s just nice sometimes to get new things. What good is money if you don’t use some of it?

Thread Information