Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury Duty January 9th......

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Municipal court handles minor matters: https://www.azcourts.gov/AZ-Courts/City-Courts

I always hope that if I should find myself accused of something that I'd like to have someone on the jury who would at least listen and then decide based on the facts. If you think of it that way - putting yourself in their shoes - then you would be an asset. And it's always good to have an inside look at the system itself.
    Here in St. Louis Circuit court we are called for jury duty often. When pulled from the big group for a panel, we may find ourselves in either civil or criminal court. I have served on jury trials for both. i think
    I have been on 3 trials (maybe 4?) including a criminal drug trial and civil lawsuits about construction and an auto accident. DH was on several juries includng a civil case about plastic surgery gone wrong and a a criminal murder case.

Also, DH served on Grand Jury for three months, going in 2.5 days each week for that period. That was brutal. Fortunately, DH had recently retired and didnt mind it. And that is the major reason he was chosen, he could afford that kind of time devoted to this civic duty.

Williamsmith
    I was selected as part of a jury pool. The jury foreman, a friend of mine, insisted I would have to go through the selection process and could not be excused. So in open court the judge asked if anyone in the jury pool would have a problem being fair and impartial. I raised my hand and was asked to stand. Why? He asked. “Well, for one I golf every Monday with the arresting officer, I golf every Wednesday with the arresting officers father, I worked with the arresting officer before I retired, I worked with the arresting officers father before he retired, I have eaten dinner with the District Attorney and all his assistants, and I have arrested the defendant twice before.” He said, “Thank you for you time, you may leave.” And then gave my friend, the jury foreman a glare.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I was selected as part of a jury pool. The jury foreman, a friend of mine, insisted I would have to go through the selection process and could not be excused. So in open court the judge asked if anyone in the jury pool would have a problem being fair and impartial. I raised my hand and was asked to stand. Why? He asked. “Well, for one I golf every Monday with the arresting officer, I golf every Wednesday with the arresting officers father, I worked with the arresting officer before I retired, I worked with the arresting officers father before he retired, I have eaten dinner with the District Attorney and all his assistants, and I have arrested the defendant twice before.” He said, “Thank you for you time, you may leave.” And then gave my friend, the jury foreman a glare.
    LOL, I imagine he wasn't happy about potentially contaminating the jury pool.

Thread Information