Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Church of God or Armstrongism

Worldwide Church of God or Armstrongism

At the risk of snarky comments and ridicule, this is a serious post and I hope there is someone who has experienced the same thing or something quite similar. Back in the 1980's and 1990's I was a member of the Worldwide Church of God when Herbert W. Armstrong was the head and supreme authority. He passed away in 1986 and there was a change in leadership but that is another discussion. Anyway, I have not been a part of that for almost 20 years and yet at times it comes back to haunt me as it has in the past few days. I can recognize now that it was, if not a full blown cult, then at least had many cult markers or tendencies. And yet there are still some teachings that I can't shake and still can mess with me in ways that are hard to explain. My purpose of this thread:

1. Just someone to talk to about this
    2. And curious to know if there might be an ex-member here or someone with other ties.

The church was headquartered in Pasadena California at that time and was home of the Ambassador Auditorium and Ambassador College. All this has since been liquidated is my understanding.

If you have any connection or had similar experiences in other cult-like organizations I would like to hear how you deal with it and if even after years some of it comes back to haunt you.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I volunteer locally in a support group called Life After Belief. The group is mostly for people who were at one time in cults or fundamentalist religious organizations.

I usually just go to listen, to support others. So if you want to private message me, feel free. I will do my best to listen.

Depending where you are in your journey, this might be a good resource:

https://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/#rfr-welcome

Recovering From Religion has a peer support hotline you can call for help/someone to talk to. It also has lists of resources for both religious and non-religious people.

I hope this helps.

Yppej
    I never heard of this denomination but was raised Seventh-day Adventist which some consider a cult because of extra-Biblical sources of authority. It was not extreme though like what you see on Leah Remini's TV series on Scientology.

I have a good friend who was subverted by the Scientologists right after high school, and spent ~30 years with them. In Sea Org primarily. His tales now sound nightmarish.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have a good friend who was subverted by the Scientologists right after high school, and spent ~30 years with them. In Sea Org primarily. His tales now sound nightmarish.
    Damn, sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I never heard of this denomination but was raised Seventh-day Adventist which some consider a cult because of extra-Biblical sources of authority. It was not extreme though like what you see on Leah Remini's TV series on Scientology.
    The teachings are very similar to Seventh-day Adventist. In fact, I think that is where much of the doctrines came from.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thank you UL. I will check out the link you sent. Thanks for the offer to listen, I appreciate it.

I feel like I came out of a cult - fundy charismatic faith healing variety. Suspicious of any education higher than 12th grade. Critical thinking is suspect. Women should stay home and raise kids. Men rule the house.

Some wouldn't think it's a cult but the longer I'm gone the more I think it was.

I escaped about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    Thank you UL. I will check out the link you sent. Thanks for the offer to listen, I appreciate it.
    I attended some local meetings of Recovering From Religion. I saw firsthand how people felt helped and listened to and even empowered by the support group.
    Life After Belief, the group I attend now, has a very similar effect but it is local and run by a former pastor who really "gets it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

I escaped about 15 years ago.
    Good on you!

Thread Information