Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moments of peacefulness?

Lying in bed at night with hubster reading our books and saying to myself "at this moment everything is just fine".

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Lying in bed at night with hubster reading our books and saying to myself "at this moment everything is just fine".
    Sounds dreamy!

I'm the early riser in my house (not that early, either) and I love that moment of opening the door for the first time of the day and going out to fetch the newspaper. The mountains, the fog rising from the valley, birds hopping around, that first deep breath of un-canned crisp air - it's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I'm the early riser in my house (not that early, either) and I love that moment of opening the door for the first time of the day and going out to fetch the newspaper. The mountains, the fog rising from the valley, birds hopping around, that first deep breath of un-canned crisp air - it's a good start.
    Our local news had a live camera shot of the Golden Gate in fog this morning. I was thinking, I love fog. Maybe partly because we hardly ever get it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Doing a back float.
    I'm really anxious to try one of the float spas that are popping up all around. 90 minutes of floating in the dark sounds like bliss.

Oatmeal. When I'm at my dad's cabin I cook oatmeal on top of the woodstove. The crackle of the fire, sitting in a rocking chair, the warmth of the oatmeal when it's done leads to a bed covered in quilts and a great night's rest.

Sitting in my yard on the ground looking for little rocks to add to a rock path I'm building. Very grounding. Not everyone can say they've sat everywhere in their entire property. I seem to go through a ritual when I grab a 5 gallon bucket and find a spot in the yard. I sit, I touch the ground, I look around and just appreciate everything I see from this view, I pick rocks, let my mind wander, start thinking about things I'm thankful for, thank the earth for the free rocks (they seem to grow faster than grass here in the ozarks), realized I've got 1/2 a bucket full, stand up and go add them to the path.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I've been trying to think of the peaceful moments I find. I think most of them involve early morning, before everyone else (pretty much the rest of the world) is awake. Cup of coffee in hand, something interesting to read in front of me, no crises to attend to, nothing I dread I'll have to do later, the day as yet un-messed up. The rest of them involve a stand of trees in which I'm standing, nothing visible past the trees, and almost nothing else.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    ...no crises to attend to, nothing I dread I'll have to do later, the day as yet un-messed up. ...
    That seems to be key.

For the record:
    1. I love this thread and I think it is one of the best I have started on here.
    2. I am making some steel cut oats tonight, for another moment of peacefulness.

Please continue if you feel inspired.

I changed my mind about the oatmeal, as I wanted something savory.

A colleague a work gave me a family recipe (he is Indian) for some moong dal. It is very basic, and cooks much in the same way as oatmeal -- simply ingredients, simple instructions, and a 30 minute cook time.

Put it on a bed of basmati rice you have an ultra-simple meal that is warm and filling and comforting.

It is an easy joy to cook and relaxing and satisfying to eat.

Very peaceful dinner at home.

For me, sometimes it is just a drive, at night, with the windows down, no traffic out, just peaceful. That can lead to a retro drive, where I turn the radio to only one speaker, towards the front/right side of the vehicle and remember days gone past.
    Other times it is just sitting on the porch, in the swing, after pushing the reel mower around the yard.

However this made me remember a peaceful moment a friend once said, and the story was horrifying up to that point, that he had us laughing at it.

Thread Information