Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moments of peacefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A colleague a work gave me a family recipe (he is Indian) for some moong dal. It is very basic, and cooks much in the same way as oatmeal -- simply ingredients, simple instructions, and a 30 minute cook time.
    Before I went ultra-low-carb, mung dal was comfort food for me. Love(d) it!
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I changed my mind about the oatmeal, as I wanted something savory.

A colleague a work gave me a family recipe (he is Indian) for some moong dal. It is very basic, and cooks much in the same way as oatmeal -- simply ingredients, simple instructions, and a 30 minute cook time.

Put it on a bed of basmati rice you have an ultra-simple meal that is warm and filling and comforting.

It is an easy joy to cook and relaxing and satisfying to eat.

Very peaceful dinner at home.
    I like to make dal with red lentils, they are small and turn into that nice smooth dal.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm really anxious to try one of the float spas that are popping up all around. 90 minutes of floating in the dark sounds like bliss.
    Is that just another term for sensory deprivation chamber?

I tried one of those floats....thought I would love it...lasted less than 20 minutes and kept getting in and out, lifting the lid, turning on the light, turning it off....the total darkness gave me the creeps. I felt disoriented, then kept thinking about all the other people who had been in it....they say they clean and sterilize them, but...just couldn't do it. My friend goes once a month and loves it.

I would absolutely hate it. It would feel like a coffin. 😄

Here is another one from my past, but I reflect back on it because:
    1. It was memorable to me.
    2. The moment lasted several hours.

A few years back when I was working for a union they sent me to Detroit for a meeting. They wanted me to stay in a hotel, but if I found my own place to stay I could keep the difference. So I found a campground about 45 minutes from he meeting. It was very rural and quiet.

It was in April, so it was still pretty dang cold.

I had my little, tiny REI tent. So I camped out. The dinner I had was just a bottle of water and a handful of assorted LarBars (made of dates and nuts).

So I kicked back in my car listening to the radio and relaxing, having my simple dinner. Then I set up the tent, got in, and laid down. I put on my headlamp to read.

Then a hell of a windstorm came through with cold rain and hail. It got so cold I had to put on the spare set of clothes I had stashed in my car along with a somewhat unwashed hoodie that was in the back seat. I curled and twirled the blankets around me. And I think my BIL for giving me the inflatable camping mat they never used.

I stopped reading. I just listened to the wild wind, the howls, rain and hail pelting the tent's rain fly. It went on most of the night. I loved it!

The tent kept me and my stuff totally dry. So I just enjoyed that long, long moment thoroughly.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield