Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moments of peacefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A colleague a work gave me a family recipe (he is Indian) for some moong dal. It is very basic, and cooks much in the same way as oatmeal -- simply ingredients, simple instructions, and a 30 minute cook time.
    Before I went ultra-low-carb, mung dal was comfort food for me. Love(d) it!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I changed my mind about the oatmeal, as I wanted something savory.

A colleague a work gave me a family recipe (he is Indian) for some moong dal. It is very basic, and cooks much in the same way as oatmeal -- simply ingredients, simple instructions, and a 30 minute cook time.

Put it on a bed of basmati rice you have an ultra-simple meal that is warm and filling and comforting.

It is an easy joy to cook and relaxing and satisfying to eat.

Very peaceful dinner at home.
    I like to make dal with red lentils, they are small and turn into that nice smooth dal.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm really anxious to try one of the float spas that are popping up all around. 90 minutes of floating in the dark sounds like bliss.
    Is that just another term for sensory deprivation chamber?

I tried one of those floats....thought I would love it...lasted less than 20 minutes and kept getting in and out, lifting the lid, turning on the light, turning it off....the total darkness gave me the creeps. I felt disoriented, then kept thinking about all the other people who had been in it....they say they clean and sterilize them, but...just couldn't do it. My friend goes once a month and loves it.

I would absolutely hate it. It would feel like a coffin. 😄

Here is another one from my past, but I reflect back on it because:
    1. It was memorable to me.
    2. The moment lasted several hours.

A few years back when I was working for a union they sent me to Detroit for a meeting. They wanted me to stay in a hotel, but if I found my own place to stay I could keep the difference. So I found a campground about 45 minutes from he meeting. It was very rural and quiet.

It was in April, so it was still pretty dang cold.

I had my little, tiny REI tent. So I camped out. The dinner I had was just a bottle of water and a handful of assorted LarBars (made of dates and nuts).

So I kicked back in my car listening to the radio and relaxing, having my simple dinner. Then I set up the tent, got in, and laid down. I put on my headlamp to read.

Then a hell of a windstorm came through with cold rain and hail. It got so cold I had to put on the spare set of clothes I had stashed in my car along with a somewhat unwashed hoodie that was in the back seat. I curled and twirled the blankets around me. And I think my BIL for giving me the inflatable camping mat they never used.

I stopped reading. I just listened to the wild wind, the howls, rain and hail pelting the tent's rain fly. It went on most of the night. I loved it!

The tent kept me and my stuff totally dry. So I just enjoyed that long, long moment thoroughly.

When I get insideand hear the rain drops softly pattering on the roof of my car I fora moment, forget that I am wet and cold and feel only peace andtranquility.

It may sound trite and obvious but I like sitting in my hot tub in the winter.
    When I put my house in order and retired, I allowed myself a final indulgence
    of a hot tub, and covered its back porch home with fiberglass with one side of the porch still open.

It rains for about 8 months straight in winter here on the Canadian Border,
    and much as I love rain, I am in a special place when I'm not either penned inside
    nor outside being rained on. My mind just drifts aimlessly as I breathe the fresh air.

Loving this thread UL! I have tried to think of my answer, but realize they come at different times, rare and far between, but not one particular time stands out to me at the moment. So, in the meantime I will keep reading all the wonderful peaceful posts here.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    It may sound trite and obvious but I like sitting in my hot tub in the winter.
    When I put my house in order and retired, I allowed myself a final indulgence
    of a hot tub, and covered its back porch home with fiberglass with one side of the porch still open.

It rains for about 8 months straight in winter here on the Canadian Border,
    and much as I love rain, I am in a special place when I'm not either penned inside
    nor outside being rained on. My mind just drifts aimlessly as I breathe the fresh air.
    I keep trying to save up for a hot tub but this year car repairs have gotten in the way. In fact I've designed something similar to what you described but a little bit away from the house so it has a good view of the hills to the southeast. If I put it where the dog house and kennel were (TomDog recently passed and I'm not interested in having a dog again besides what dog really spends time in a doghouse/kennel when they are a part of the family) it's protected from the north and west by the studio and the house and the platform would be open to the southeast and and southwest to 40 acres of nothing (naked hot tub time!!!).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information