Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunar Eclipse -- Blood Moon Morning -- January 31

Lunar Eclipse -- Blood Moon Morning -- January 31

Oh, to be out west, somewhere far from light pollution at 4:51 AM PST. And no clouds, no fog, please!

Not only will the moon turn copper-colored in the shadow of the earth, it will be at the perigee of its orbit, and thus 14% bigger and 30% brighter than it is at the apogee.

Fortunately NASA will be video-recording the event, so I will bet dollars-to-donuts the lunar event can be watched streaming on the internet, and canned on YouTube.

Last time I watched a lunar eclipse, it was a night with no breeze. And just as the eclipse became total, a great horned owl gave a territorial hoot.

This is what they sound like, if they give a hoot!
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/G...ned_Owl/sounds

Exciting - I hope we have clear skies!

Even if the skies were cleared, apparently the east coast will only get to see the initial stages before the moon goes below the horizon. I hope to be able to watch some of it at work on the internet. After all a Super Blue Blood Moon doesn't come 'round but 100+ years!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Just checked the weather forecast and they are predicting clouds. I had planned to get up early to see it but now I probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Just checked the weather forecast and they are predicting clouds. I had planned to get up early to see it but now I probably won't.
    I was afraid of that. Reminds me of this summer's Eclipse. I went home to the farm to be in the totality area and the dang clouds came in 1/2 hour before it started and left 1/2 hour after it finished!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I woke up this morning about 4a.m. and thought I'd left the outside light on. I got up and looked out and the moon was almost full and so bright! I love looking out at night and seeing the moon shining through the trees. On those nights, I usually leave the drapes open and pretend I'm sleeping in the forest.

I hope some of you get to see the moon tomorrow night. I think it's supposed to be cloudy here. But even if you miss it.......you have many, many more nights to see the lovely moon.

On the west coast here, and though there MAY be clouds, I will be up anyway, with my camera ready.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I woke up this morning about 4a.m. and thought I'd left the outside light on. I got up and looked out and the moon was almost full and so bright! I love looking out at night and seeing the moon shining through the trees. On those nights, I usually leave the drapes open and pretend I'm sleeping in the forest.

I hope some of you get to see the moon tomorrow night. I think it's supposed to be cloudy here. But even if you miss it.......you have many, many more nights to see the lovely moon.
    You're a photographer, Cathy. Do you ever find it's hard to photograph the moon when it's big and beautiful? Sometimes when I'm amazed by something in nature, I have to remember to put down my camera and just be part of the moment. (Actually here's a blog post I wrote about this subject of how a camera can become a wedge between you and life).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hi catherine........you're right. A number of times when I see something that's fleeting, instead of standing there just taking it all in, I'll run for my camera......but when I return, the thing is gone. I've often thought about how needing to take pictures of everything wonderful I see, instead of just using the time to take it all in, is losing the moment. Plus, when I take a ride in my cart and take my camera, I feel overly "obliged" to it. Sometimes I just go for a ride through the woods and field without it. But.....that's usually when I see something really extraordinary. I guess that will always be a dilemma!

There have been lots of beautiful moon nights, and I'd love to take pics of it. But that requires the tripod, etc., and many times it's just too cold out.
    I have to admit, I've taken so many pictures, I fear my computer and back-ups might explode. I just can't help myself.

I woke up about 4:20 and saw the bright, gorgeous full moon. At 5:30 I actually went outside (temps in the teens!) to look at it. By the time I left for my morning walk around 6:40, the moon had already set but the colors of that moonset were actually "blue blood"!!! There was a subtle mix of blue and reddish-pink across the horizon... absolutely beautiful. I hope someone is getting a chance to see the actual eclipse.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information