Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking One (or More) New Year's Resolution(s) - January

Yppej
    I got rid of some papers and have 35 things to go in January. Also moved the rest of the bags of old insulation up from the basement. After this week's trash pickup I think they will all fit in the barrel and I will finally be rid of them.

Yppj, Congrats on getting rid of the insulation and more paper!

Everyone is making such great progress! CL: is your basement a finished space and that is why you are displaying your dolls there?

The old basement is... semi finished?

bare concrete floor, concrete walls painted white or cream (needs a repaint) drywall painted white dividing the space up and making three closets around the stairwell, exposed pipes and ducts and insulation in the ceiling, heat that sort of works (it stays about ten degrees cooler than upstairs) storage racks along concrete walls. I have added one area rug.

but, it is mine. It is the space where most of the things that are just mine end up. My desk is in the basement (as a result, my work is always all over the kitchen table and I just store things on my desk. I am light sensitive. This system is stupid. The wall where I am going to put my shelf is a drywall wall. Some of the dolls are currently out in the guest rooms. The kids complain about them every time they come. So the general consensus is that since the doll collection annoys dh and makes the guest rooms less hospitable, it must go to the basement.

i thought that when the kids moved out, I would turn one of their rooms into my work room/office, but the addition of two queen sized beds by dh (we have two children who married right out of college) precludes my desk from coming upstairs. It simply won’t fit.

the new basement is completely unfinished and houses the ping pong table and my exercise bike.

i got the plastic baseboard stripped off, but haven’t bleached. Total 4 hrs, 45 min.

Yppej
    That's a big project that it's already taken over half a work day.

Yppej, i’m a hoarder. I don’t think you were around when I used to talk about it more - it drove UL nuts and I got the impression it was really bothering some other people as well, so I pretty much stopped. I’ve since found a good online support group aimed at overcoming hoarding that is helping a lot.

anyway, the parts of my house that are above ground are good - a little messy, a few problem areas, but “normal”. The basement and studio are still really bad. I won’t finish this year. So, the first thing that takes so much time on the “put the shelf up” project is clearing space to work. It takes even more time because I am determined not to just drag everything back into a more solid pile that will increase my work later, so as I am moving things I am trying to sort by type, clean up, organize, and put away what I can.

the project will pay interest though, because once the dolls are on the shelf there will be empty shelves upstairs (to move books or pottery) and empty boxes (to recycle) and bins (to use for better sorting and storing) in the basement. And a big empty space where the disassembled shelf was stored.

still haven’t bleached.

Aw, CL, I was picturing your dolls going into, I guess the addition, at least some where in the general living space, and I’m feeling sad for you that they are relegated to the basement storage room. And that really isn’t an acceptable space for your desk, either. It’s like your work and interests don’t count. Not ok, at all.

i have been browsing online for over an hour now- I am avoiding my project. And I think part of the reason is the “dividends” - I have empty plastic bins here now that should be swapped out with the cardboards... and I guess I am just being very resistant to this project growing— I want it to be DONE. I will do an hour today....

Well, the wall is clean, the random nails have been removed from it, and the holes have been squared off (all the damage was from previous owners and simply has not been addressed yet.)

someday when I have the basement cleaned out and organized, I will be ready to discuss my release from it. (Dh has an upstairs study off our bedroom, he could learn to share with someone who was neat....)

meanwhile, I will someday paint the basement floor and put down pretty rugs and have the walls white and hang drapes or maybe tapestries or quilts in front of the storage, and it will be a lovely retreat from the heat of summer and I can add warm lighting for early winter mornings and dark evenings. And the sun won’t damage my dolls.

but first I have to deal with all these blasted boxes....

I didn’t count the time, because none of it was really on the original project - the stuff. When I put the dolls out, I will count all the time, because they are “stuff” even though I will be fussing and playing.

did you do your hour?

I think it is a shame you can't have an office on the main floor. I have one that has a double bed in it. The room is small but I have my desk, computer and printer too. Sometimes when I have a lot of paper to spread out I used the bed as a desk too. I only need to clear that when we have guests. You certainly deserve your own office. Put your foot down Missie)

I appreciate the thought, but I do better when he makes rules - I get to negotiate, but the thing is, I am the hoarder. Being a hoarder is not a rational thing. I can do things for him that I cannot do for myself. In the absence of outside pressure, I make bad decisions. If I didn’t HAVE to carve living space out of the basement, it would still be a maze of piles in danger of crushing someone to death. When I make good decisions - for whatever reasons - and see the results, it gets easier next time.

Also, I want very much for my children to be able to spontaneously spend the night. It matters to me, a lot. The bedrooms are small. The men are big. One room still wouldn’t hold the desk even with a double bed.

I often spread projects out on the beds. Currently one is covered in laundry to be folded and the other has some framed pictures laid out.

some day I will ask to put my desk in his study.

Thread Information