Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cards?

I have always been interested in learning to play card games. Though outside of Blackjack and Poker (Grandpa was a gambler) I have never really learned.

But I like how they are such a small and old fashioned item. Yet you can do so many things with them, so many games.

Any card players on here?

Our family game growing up was called "31". We played this on vacation and holidays. The game sort of went like this: everyone is dealt 3 cards. The rest of the cards are in the middle, and the top card is placed face up next to it. Your goal is to get to 31 (counting the numbers on the cards, Ace is 11), suit doesn't matter. When its your turn, you can take either the turned up card or an unknown card from the top of the stack, and in return you discard one of the cards you are holding (you can also discard the one you just picked up). If you think you are close, you can "knock", which gives all the players one more turn. Person closest to 31 gets any kitty you have. Anyone who gets exactly 31 wins automatically (at any point in the game).

I LOVE to play cards. Play Euchre, Sheepshead, Hearts, Poker, Hand and Foot, 31... plus others. A fun way to pass the time IMO. You can still visit and talk. I hate just sitting around looking at each other. My DS and partner come and we just sit around looking at each other. They refuse to play cards. Partner says she is not competitive. BLAH

In our family I had a bunch of elderly great aunts from Germany who always played a game they called "Misery." I have never heard of anyone else knowing about this game, but upon googling it, I see it is also known as "Spite and Malice" and is described as a sort of multi-player solitaire which is a good shorthand description. The game is not that difficult but it can sometimes take hours and hours for anyone to win, so it was something we used to do while whiling away an afternoon talking and eating cake and coffee (another German tradition). I like the way it does not really require intense attention so lends itself to chatting and snacking while playing. I have taught it to my kids and some friends but haven't played in a while. Curious whether anyone else has heard of or played this game.

My parents and other relatives/friends used to also sometimes play Canasta but it definitely seemed to require more attention to keep up with what was happening and not mess up, and also they played as a foursome with partners (not sure if that is only way to play or not) so you also had to pay attention in order to avoid doing something stupid and making your partner mad!

We've played Hearts, 21, Texas Hold 'Em in the past. In the distant past I played Spite and Malice. It's fun to play cards, but I'm not a real strategic player, so I don't necessarily have interest in games like Bridge.

Lately when the family is together we play games like Taboo. We love Taboo, but my DIL just introduced us to a great game that we LOVED this Christmas. It's called Telestrations. It's a cross between the old "Telephone" and Pictionary. We played two nights in a row, and it was such great laughs.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have always been interested in learning to play card games. Though outside of Blackjack and Poker (Grandpa was a gambler) I have never really learned.

But I like how they are such a small and old fashioned item. Yet you can do so many things with them, so many games.

Any card players on here?
    dH’s family is made up of voracious card players. It what they did every Sunday night on the farm and during long cold Iowa winters. When I joined his family I was regulated to the childrenks table where a four year old regulalry beat me, haha.

Here in our neighborhood there is an active card playing group, in fact, he is going to our friends’ house tonight where 4 tables of 16 people will play Spades. It is potluck appetizers and BYOB. Non playing spouses are welcome to attend and eat, but I am passing on it.

I enjoy gin rummy and Kings Corner. I do play Spades at a kindergarten level but am. Ot i terested enough to get better. I play versions of computer solitaireoften.

I think it is a great pastime, though. DH has cemented friendships in this Spades group even though they are all people we already know, for the most part. They all get togehter at least once a month.

I love cards...any game. My husband hates card games. I need some new friends.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We were all passionate kitty whist players when I was a teen. My family's garage was our hangout, and whenever we had at least 4 people around, we would sit cross-legged on the floor or the ground outside, and someone would start to deal the cards. As an adult, I haven't been a card payer.
    Last night we got together with friends and played "Cards Against Humanity," and it was really fun. DH & I had never played before.

DH's family played any time enough players were present.

DD1 played 'euchre' at high school on public transit and any time enough players are present. Her DH played cards all the time and they both still do whenever enough players present. We started to teach DGS this weekend.

DH taught me to play. cribbage, hoss, euchre and hearts. He partnered with our younger daughter and I partnered our older in euchre. He would suggest a card that would work to defeat us and DD2 always had it!!!! We could not win.

Our community has many card games held weekly in various halls - senior centres, churches, legions, etc., - and in addition, bridge at various levels.

Usually on Friday nights, friends and I take turns driving a carload to one of two alternating locations to play progressive euchre. These outings cost $3/pp for 10 games and a light lunch follows. It is a good fundraiser for different groups.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I play mah Jong three times a week at least. We keep a set out in the kitchen. It is confusing to learn but once you get it always challenging. This is not the tile matching game that people play on the computer. You make hands out of numbered tiles I. Three suits combined with flowers, winds and dragons. The about 50 hand combinations change every year.
    Dh plays pinochle every Monday. We also play euchre and hi low jack once or a twice a month. It keeps your mind sharp and keeps social contacts.

In our our retirement community there are are always multiple games going on in rec centers as well as people always willing to play in a home game.

Thread Information