Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

LDAHL, because this model was born out of Catholic social teaching, I'd think you'd be kind of into it.
    I remember discussing distributism and subsidiarity in a high school theology class many years ago. The concept has much to recommend it in principle, but I see some practical difficulties with it.

There are some things we need that require large pools of capital to produce. Things Iike attack submarines or Marvel Comics movies. Also, not everyone is capable of succeeding in small family businesses or cooperatives. What happens when they run through their capital? It would seem we’d need a vast state apparatus for keeping the failures above a certain level and the successes below a certain level.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Keep your eye on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez--she's not letting grass grow under her feet.
    [/I].
    It’s early days yet, but based on her statements to date she could well become the Joe Biden of her generation.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s early days yet, but based on her statements to date she could well become the Joe Biden of her generation.
    Yeah--politicians with heart--what a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah--politicians with heart--what a concept!
    Sometimes when one faculty is underdeveloped others expand in compensation.

Or it could be a crazy-like-a-fox strategy taken from Trump: say any crazy, untrue thing you like. When you get called crazy and misinformed, your base rallies to your defense.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Sometimes when one faculty is underdeveloped others expand in compensation.

Or it could be a crazy-like-a-fox strategy taken from Trump: say any crazy, untrue thing you like. When you get called crazy and misinformed, your base rallies to your defense.
    As usual, we're seeing things through our own polarized lenses.

She seems very bright and focused to me. Much more so than I was at that age. I have a lot of faith in the generation coming up; I hope they don't get distracted by toxic, pervasive greed, and I don't think they will.

Yppej
    Small Fry
    His Bloody Project
    The Other Woman
    Reporter

And four lesser lights I will only post about if they grow on me.

Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. A very illustrative telling of a huge culture in our country. It was very enlightening.

Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    Science fiction about a settlement on the moon (and Earth politics) set 50 years from now. I'm about 1/2 way through and thoroughly enjoying it.

Geila
    I finally have something to contribute here!

I'm reading Less by Andrew Sean Greer and I'm really enjoying it. Funny thing is that I only bought it to meet the Amazon free shipping limit when I was buying two other books. It was cheap and won a Pulitzer, so what the heck. I've ended up liking it way more than the other two books I bought.

Yppej
    The Book of Unknown Americans

Thread Information