Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I feel like such a lightweight, but I am reading Stephen King's latest, The Outsider.
    My ladyfriend is reading that. I got her into King about six months ago when she read Under The Dome right after I did.

She says The Outsider is gripping!

Last year, I read The Bear and The Nightingale by Katherine Arden. It takes place in Russ during the 1500's. It's about the daughter of a minor lord who has inherited the gift of seeing the local and household spirits that are beginning to fade away as people embrace Christianity and forget about the old ways. Her second book in the trilogy is The Girl in the Tower. I listened to it. Both are so well-written and really drew me into that world. I love learning about different folklores. I'm waiting on volume 3!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Today I got White Girl Bleed A Lot by Colin Flaherty from the university library. I am actually quite surprised that a book like this is allowed on the university campus.

I am dubious about the premise of this book and about the author. But I am curious about opposing views to me own, so I am going to at least attempt to give it a read.

"Future Home of the Living God" by Louise Erdrich.
    This book left me with a lot of questions. It is a dystopian story set in the not too distant future, in the form of a young woman's diary. Erdrich is a great writer but this novel seems like it's missing bits, as though she didn't really think it through.
    I'd be interested in what other people thought of it.

Finished another Joyce Maynard, this a novel, Under the Influence. Quite good, actually!
    Also Sarah suzanka or whatever her name is "the Small life " or :the not so small life" or something which takes her small house ideas and applies them to one's life.
    Catherine, we ought to do a book club study here on this one--okay, looked up the title, and here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Not-So-Big-Li...=sarah+susanka

This is exactly kind of thing you are talking about in your new house sustainability stepping back thread.

Yppej
    This week I will start:

Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
    A Birth Year by Louise Erdrich
    The Past and Future City: How Historic Preservation is Reviving America's Communities
    Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower

While traveling, I read The Book of Joy by HH the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Wonderful read! Lots to think about.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Speaking of Louise Erdrich, I wish she'd write a biography; there's an interesting story there.

Yppej
    Jane this one is autobiographical but only covers one year in her life.

I am rereading The Little Prince.

I am also about to start Emperor of The Amazon by Marcio Souza.

Thread Information