Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath - personal memoir about becoming an alcoholic at a very young age - the whys
    I'm trying to cut back on my Kindle purchases, but when I saw this in your post, pinkytoe, I couldn't resist. I'm pretty deep in it already. Really interesting read. I love how she really delves into the attitudes, historical and current--how the drunk male poets have a certain nobility where women drunks are just "sloppy fish". (I heard this horrendously disparaging term for women from someone lately, but it fits here).

And wanton willfulness vs disease. And white culpability for their behavior vs minority.

It's really a great read for anyone with alcoholism in their midst, or not. Thanks for the recommendation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I recently re-read my father's diary from 1948. He would have been in his 30s and already quite proudly an alcoholic so The Recovering was of personal interest. I have always wondered about the power of any addiction.

Checked out from the library a recommendation from a friend, "The Year of Wonders:"
    When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the fateful year of 1666, as she and her fellow villagers confront the spread of disease and superstition.

Last edited by KayLR; 6-7-18 at 5:12pm. Reason: weird formatting
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    Today I found a couple of books recommended here: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning and Brain on Fire. I also picked up All About Love by bell hooks and two novels, A Rising Man and Tornado Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I recently re-read my father's diary from 1948. He would have been in his 30s and already quite proudly an alcoholic
    Wow. Reading his diaries must be compelling and scary at the same time. Was he an artist/writer--i.e., the type of "noble drunk" Jamison writes about? My dad was an artist and philosopher and fit that mold, although I don't know how proudly he wore the badge of alcoholic. An ignominious badge for him, when he wound up dying with cirrhosis on the side of a building in the Bowery, but maybe that's all part of the romanticism of it. I had a friend in college who told me that I romanticized my father's alcoholism. I don't know what led her to believe that, and I hate to believe that's true, but maybe it is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Today I found a couple of books recommended here: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning and Brain on Fire. I also picked up All About Love by bell hooks and two novels, A Rising Man and Tornado Weather.
    I read Brain on Fire. It was ok, not great. I have the Sedish Death cleaning book at home right now, will be skimming it.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Checked out from the library a recommendation from a friend, "The Year of Wonders:"
    When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the fateful year of 1666, as she and her fellow villagers confront the spread of disease and superstition.

This sounds like the type of book I like: historical fiction. An easy way to learn about history and using characters who are trying to live through it is a compelling device.

A glutton for punishment, I'm reading Michael Crichton's Timeline, which isn't bad so far. I do enjoy some fiction, but discovering which fiction is kind of a slog.

If you want your heart pulled out of your chest, twisted, wrung dry and then handed back to you, I strongly recommend "Every Note Played," a novel by Lisa Genova about ALS. It was a hard one to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    If you want your heart pulled out of your chest, twisted, wrung dry and then handed back to you, I strongly recommend "Every Note Played," a novel by Lisa Genova about ALS. It was a hard one to put down.
    Rosa, you make good siggestions, and
    I like medical biographies. And sad endings.
    This seems right ip my alley.

I still have a short list of titles you have reccomended.

Thread Information