Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 380

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

  1. #291
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    785
    The Nude: A Study in Ideal Form by Kenneth Clark. This book evolved from a 1953 series of lectures by this Oxford University professor.

    There is more to the Nude than meets the eye! ...458 pages with Notes and Index.

  2. #292
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Dopesick, by Beth Macey. Depressing and infuriating chronicle of the spread of opioids in Appalachia.
    I just saw the Lisa Ling special on meth addicts in Ohio. Apparently Ohio is the worst in the U.S. and law enforcement there can't keep up. The sheriff there said it typically starts as an addiction to prescribed pain medication, then when they can't get any more pain pills they move to meth or heroin. It was pretty frightening seeing the scope of it, and clearly repeated arrests and incarceration without treatment is not working.

  3. #293
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,769
    Two Good Dogs by Susan Wilson. Totally lightweight, happy little fictional frolic, which is just what the doctor ordered for me right now. I especially love that she is a local author and the story took place in the Berkshires. Many of the places mentioned in the book were visited by us just a couple of weeks ago.
    Iris Lily alert - this book would probably nauseate you, although you would love Chance and Dawg!

  4. #294
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,191
    I am reading Saved by Ben Hewitt. So far it is pretty good and a deep examination of what money and wealth really are.

  5. #295
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,253
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Two Good Dogs by Susan Wilson. Totally lightweight, happy little fictional frolic, which is just what the doctor ordered for me right now. I especially love that she is a local author and the story took place in the Berkshires. Many of the places mentioned in the book were visited by us just a couple of weeks ago.
    Iris Lily alert - this book would probably nauseate you, although you would love Chance and Dawg!
    haha!

  6. #296
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I just saw the Lisa Ling special on meth addicts in Ohio. Apparently Ohio is the worst in the U.S. and law enforcement there can't keep up. The sheriff there said it typically starts as an addiction to prescribed pain medication, then when they can't get any more pain pills they move to meth or heroin. It was pretty frightening seeing the scope of it, and clearly repeated arrests and incarceration without treatment is not working.
    Add in a depressed economy where desperate people sell the stuff on the black market and an incredibly greed-driven Pharma, and you have an unmitigated disaster.

  7. #297
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,559
    “Confronting the Classics” by Mary Beard. She takes some new perspectives on some old material.

    I’ve got Roger Scruton’s book on conservatism waiting in the wings. It’s the first time I bought a book I heard about on YouTube.

  8. #298
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,237
    I'm re-reading "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. They are the first two books in a planned trilogy.

    I've been eagerly anticipating the third book for seven years, but the first two are so good that even if Rothfuss never publishes another thing, he'll still be a master.

  9. #299
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    “Confronting the Classics” by Mary Beard. She takes some new perspectives on some old material.
    Read her "Women and Power: a Manifesto" earlier this year. I recommend it. Helped me to understand better how women came to be silenced in the public sphere.

  10. #300
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,370
    Unhinged
    The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    Burden
    Everything I Never Told You
    Looking for Lorraine
    Sabers and Utopias

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •