Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Just finished Tana French's new book, "The Witch Elm." It may be her best book yet.

Also read "The Serpent King", a very popular YA book. It felt contrived to me. Would not recommend.
    I love Tana French. I'll request from the library. Thanks for mentioning!

Yppej
    Today I checked out:
    Born a Crime recommended here
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat as I have liked some of Sacks's other books
    The Orchard by Robertson, not to be confused with the book by the same name by Weir that I am still reading
    Blood Will Out
    The Speckled People
    On Tyranny

Russian Roulette, by Michael Isikoff.

I am making myself read some fiction - Eleanor Olliphant is Just Fine and
    Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver. Both a little unsettling but holding my attention.
    Last nonfiction book read - Them by Ben Sasse.

I checked out the original Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I wanted to reread We Don't Live in the Castle but it was not on the shelf.

Re The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat—

my Neighbor told me the other day that he has that psychological condition where he cannot recognize faces. He’s a nerdy scientist who is very nice and interesting. His son went to college at the same university where he is employed and he said he regularly saw his son over the years but never recognized him. His son would later report when the dad had looked at them.

I imagine this is the same condition that the man who mistook took his wife for a hat had. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Re The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat—

my Neighbor told me the other day that he has that psychological condition where he cannot recognize faces. He’s a nerdy scientist who is very nice and interesting. His son went to college at the same university where he is employed and he said he regularly saw his son over the years but never recognized him. His son would later report when the dad had looked at them.

I imagine this is the same condition that the man who mistook took his wife for a hat had. Yes?
    I read the book about 30 years ago, but I think it was not this, but rather the result of a brain tumor or stroke or something--not a psychological condition per se but organic? But maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I read the book about 30 years ago, but I think it was not this, but rather the result of a brain tumor or stroke or something--not a psychological condition per se but organic? But maybe I am not remembering correctly.
    My neighbro’s condition Is likely physiological. I dont know the name of it and havent looked it up, I just called it Psychological because it takes place in his brain. Sloppy wording. Now I will have to consult the Google machine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My neighbro’s condition Is likely physiological. I dont know the name of it and havent looked it up, I just called it Psychological because it takes place in his brain. Sloppy wording. Now I will have to consult the Google machine.
    Oliver Sachs. I think he died fairly recently. He also wrote Awakenings (Robin Williams, Robert DeNiro). I always loved that story, because that's what my mother experienced when she "woke up" from her aneurysm/stroke.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hillbilly Elegy.....interesting read

Thread Information